Current HEAD state

Here you can post threads specific to the current release of the core (099)

Moderator: POL Developer

xeon
Forum Regular

Current HEAD state

Post by xeon »

I was thinking about upgrading my POL099 to the latest build.
What is the current state of the HEAD? Is it stable, production ready? Should I wait for something?
Any comment from who's using one of the latest build?
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

Re: Current HEAD state

Post by OWHorus »

Hello,

please wait some days - I am trying this. We have a rather big script system, not the official distro, and use a lot of functions. So if the newest version works for us, it will probably work for you too. I cannot say anything about the official distro.

I am using Debian wheezy. We use an older core (0.99, from around 2012), this ran for over two years, but it seems to be unstable under certain conditions, which I just found out. We had only one server crash before, for unknown reasons. I currently use a 32-bit POL core compiled under Debian, statically linked.

So - I will report here about our results.

OWHorus
bodom
Former Developer

Post by bodom »

The are rumors of a new release coming out soon (finally).

It should be a 2nd Beta or even a Release Candidate :grouphug:
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Thanks OwHorus, I'll wait your comments

We have strange crashes during shutdown, but we've always had these, both with 099 and older cores. Figure it out...
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

Post by OWHorus »

Hi xeon,

there seem to be problems with the current HEAD. One of the problems I want to analyze further, but we have a situation where POL send masses of packages and hangs the client. But this could be a problem only with our client (5.06a) and our setup.

The other problem is uoconvert - see my bug report in an extra post.

The crash during shutdown has happened to me one or two times - no idea what it is, but it always saved correctly. This was - as far as I remember - never on Linux, but on the Windows version, but the same server version (POL.099 from around 2012). We had a Windows Server before 2013 for the game, and there I always shut down with a command from inside the game.

OWHorus
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

Post by OWHorus »

OWHorus wrote:Hi xeon,

there seem to be problems with the current HEAD. One of the problems I want to analyze further, but we have a situation where POL send masses of packages and hangs the client. But this could be a problem only with our client (5.06a) and our setup.

The other problem is uoconvert - see my bug report in an extra post.

The crash during shutdown has happened to me one or two times - no idea what it is, but it always saved correctly. This was - as far as I remember - never on Linux, but on the Windows version, but the same server version (POL.099 from around 2012). We had a Windows Server before 2013 for the game, and there I always shut down with a command from inside the game.

OWHorus
Hello,

solved the client crash mentioned above: It was one of our older scripts, which should send packets in certain situations, and did send a malformed packet for multis due to a core change. (I am not trying to apportion blame here, I just forgot that this script existed, so it was my fault)

To make it clear for all (corechanges.txt mentions it, but not very clearly):

The script API for Multis has changed, uoconvert generates a different multis.cfg (Graphic entry missing), but also the member multi.graphic is now always 1 if you read it via script! The correct new way to generate multi.graphic if you need it in scripts is now:

graphic := multiref.multiid + 0x4000;

if you use a client with a maxtileid = 0x3fff.

The core seems to run stable now, I did not see any problems with it. Uoconvert is fixed now, I tested it. I will further test, because we have a lot of special mechanisms (we do not use the distro). But for now it does look good.

OWHorus
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Thanks OWH for the feedback.
I'm thinking upgrading as we have just incurred in a few core bug from the revision we're using, like a splitstackinto() bug when done to a stack of item in a storage area.