Problems with sound effect... Help!

Here you can post threads specific to the current release of the core (099)

Moderator: POL Developer

Mutley
New User

Problems with sound effect... Help!

Post by Mutley »

hello,

I need to know what I should do to activate the sound effect of the attack mosntros.

Or find a npcdesc.cfg that is activated with the AttackHitSound.

I know that the list of sounds is ... Distro \ scripts \ include

I've been looking ... Distro \ pkg \ systems \ brainAI \ include \ npcEffects

And I found that was cleaned by Edwards for best performance of the distro:

Last Modifications 2010-02-22
* Cleaned codes for better performances

NPC_GetBarkSound (source) BarkSound
NPC_GetCastSpellGraphic (source) AttackCastGraphic
NPC_GetDamagedGraphic (source) DamagedGraphic
NPC_GetDamagedSound (source) DamagedSound
NPC_GetDeathSound (source) DeathSound
NPC_GetIdleGraphic (source) IdleGraphic
NPC_GetIdleSound (source) IdleSound
NPC_GetHitGraphic (source) AttackHitGraphic
NPC_GetHitSound (source) AttackHitSound
NPC_GetMissSound (source) AttackMissSound

in npcdesc.cfg file looks like this:

AIScripts genericCombat

AttackHitSound 0
AttackMissSound 0
DeathSound 0
DamagedSound 0
IdleSound 0

I'll have to put the corresponding sounds for each npc ??? One by one ???

I searched https://svn.code.sf.net/p/pol-distro/code/releases/099/

But do not have ... They are all disabled :(

... \ Distro \ pkg \ systems \ brainAI \ AI_desc \ Animal \ config \ npcdesc.cfg

NPCTemplate Alligator
{
Name an alligator
Script: brainAI: brain
Category Animal

ObjType 0xCA
Color 33784
TrueColor 33784
Gender 0

Runspeed 25
MoveMode LS
Alignment evil

Strength 100
Intelligence 30
Dexterity 80

HITS 90
MANA 0
STAM 50

ResistingSpells 80
Tactics 100
Wrestling 130

AttackDamage 2D7
AttackAttribute Wrestling

AISetting AreaSize i4
AISetting FleeLevel i50

AIScripts genericCombat

AttackHitSound 0
AttackMissSound 0
DeathSound 0
DamagedSound 0
IdleSound 0

SkinningItem Lizardhides 1
SkinningItem rawrib 8

TameSkill 60
FoodType meat

CProp Type sAnimal
}

If someone provide the old npcdesc.cfg I get very grateful;)

Thank you.
Mutley
New User

Re: Problems with sound effect... Help!

Post by Mutley »

:shame:
blckfire
Apprentice Poster

Post by blckfire »

I think the best way to solve your problem is to go search for those sounds references with UOFiddler.

The sounds are normally accompanied with a name reference and you can play the sound to check if it is the sound you are looking for.

Have you tried to get an older distro version of those files? Maybe it'll be enough to solve your problem.
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

Hello guys,

I know this is a 4 years old topic but there still no fix for this problem. :(
Im already testing the official distro for a while and It seems to me that the official distro has no sound effect for animals and creatures/monsters, maybe Im missing or doing something wrong, but if not our official distro is missing some basic stuff.. O_o

Can we together fix this problem?
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

Ya this is still an issue, I am using the "distro", the issue is I plan to fix this on my end but i also plan on wiping all the npcdescs and starting anew, I don't care for the selection there and while it will be a big undertaking, the issue with me putting my definitions out which will be largely based on stats I get from UOGuide/ServUO is that(I know I am an odd bird, I just don't care for walking spellbooks and npcs named "noob", kind of ruins the idea of an immersive world for me), the spawn stuff is set up with the current set of NPC definitions, if you work toward assigning sounds to your end and are not planning to do what I am doing but keep what is there, I am sure you can post them or zip them up and send em to someone who can update the "distro".

I know the distro_alt has most of the sounds present for the npcs if you want to use that as a starting point, they will be in as I recall the main config folder.
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

ThisIsMe, thank you for your answer.

I can understand your wish to clean everything but for now I want to keep it as it is to avoid more work like reconfiguring spawns, loot and stuff.
I found out that 097 Distro is using Austin Heilman BrainAI version (with documentation and a lot of informative comments, making easy to understand how this pkg work. GJ!). The official Pol/Edwards distro has the same BrainAI pkg but heavly edited by Edwards without documentation. ¬_¬

Anyway.. World of Dreams 099 is using a different BrainAI but has sound effect inside npcdesc.cfg that could be used too.
The problem is that POls official distro has 63 npcdesc.cfg files instead of just 1 like 097Distro. Sadly we can't just copy and pasta the whole file or use some software to merge just all sound effects.. It seems that we will need to go one by one and place everything new using like you said the Alt distro, WoD099, 097Distro or UOFiddler.

It would go faster if we work all together :grouphug: ..
I was just hoping after so many years to get from someone an updated version with sound effects. ;)

btw the animations, like attack, miss, damage and idle is missing too and need to be set like sound effects. :sick:
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

First note is to the moderators: This should be in the Distro Development Discussion forum so can you please move it?

Second, a lot of the correct sounds for normal NPCs are in the Distro-Alt script set as ThisIsMe pointed out. Look in \pol\config for npcdesc.cfg and you'll find a lot of the normal NPC definitions there. All NPCs are in that one file and not split into many different files as they are in the "Distro". It is not a complete list of every UO NPC however. This is because it has not been updated to include many of the NPCs after (I think) T2A and also because I couldn't find some sounds for the ToL mounts using UO Fiddler. The file doesn't contain the custom NPCs that Edwards has in the "Distro". For those perhaps the author of the "Distro", namely Edwards, can provide help because we would only be guessing which sound went with those NPCs if we were to edit the npcdesc.cfg files. The "Distro" was a working shard, as I understand it, when Edwards donated it to the POL community so I'm not sure why the sounds aren't there.

And yes you are correct. You would have to search through the Distro-Alt npcdesc file for the sound needed for the particular NPC in the "Distro".
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

Hello Yukiko,

Nice to see you back here, I hope you are getting better. :)

and yeah I will do like you said and for all custom npcs I will just check in UOfiddler or guess/choose the best sound for it. I don't know when but If I finish it I could post here or send you to upload.
The "Distro" was a working shard, as I understand it, when Edwards donated it to the POL community
I thought it too but its far way from a working shard. I mean I don't know what you/he/they mean by working.. but you need more than just configure and fix small bugs to be able to use it well. This may sound paranoid but I keep finding bugs that makes me wonder if someone puts it there on purpose, like e.g. all nulled sound effects or some //commented lines making the shard crash.

anyway, that's not the point of this topic, what still missing are all attack, idle, get hit and casting animation for npcs. We don't just need to put all sounds but animations too. its easy to do, but it takes a LOT of time and patience :whip:
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I thought it too but its far way from a working shard. I mean I don't know what you/he/they mean by working.. but you need more than just configure and fix small bugs to be able to use it well. This may sound paranoid but I keep finding bugs that makes me wonder if someone puts it there on purpose, like e.g. all nulled sound effects or some //commented lines making the shard crash.
THANK YOU Pumpkins! I remember when Edwards donated Fantasia shard as the Official POL Distro and if it wasn't expressed literally it was certainly implied that it had been a working shard. I spent about 30 minutes searching the forums for that post by Austin where he announced the generous donation, by Edwards, of his server files but it seems to have disappeared or I didn't use the correct search terms. The truth is it never compiled from day 1. If you are looking for a shard with what appears to be a good working shard with a class system search for the repo for Mytharria. It might not be available now because the link I had for it is dead but if it is still around it's a well written set of scripts. Austin wrote a lot or all of it so you know it's well done and it compiles first time.

Ok. I am done complaining. My apologies for continuing the off-topic branch of this thread.
anyway, that's not the point of this topic, what still missing are all attack, idle, get hit and casting animation for npcs. We don't just need to put all sounds but animations too. its easy to do, but it takes a LOT of time and patience
Yes. It still needs a lot of work. Probably more that is yet to be discovered but I have to defend the POL community here. Many of us, including myself despite how I feel about the official Edwards "distro", have put a lot time into fixing bugs and other problems it has. The problem we face here is the same one we faced when Austin started what was to be the official Distro with POL 0.96-0.98. He started it, I think, with the intent of doing it all himself. I can't be sure but that was my impression. Anyway, his personal life or job or other hobbies (RC helicopters for one) took more of his time and he asked for help completing it. It happens to all of us so I am not criticising him. Anyway, most of us then and now are busy with our own shards and don't have a lot of time to donate to finishing another project. It's unfortunate that Austin's Distro languished unfinished because it was clearly a superior product. So what I am saying is you are probably going to have to do most of the work on sounds and animations yourself. I'm sorry but because of our need to maintain our own POL servers just don't have a lot of time to help fix these bugs. It's unfortunate because POL seriously needs a working proper Distro as well as a way to easily download, install, and easily configure the Core along with a good Distro. Once I have finished my current project, a package upgrade for the Distro-Alt, I'll do some copy - paste work of sounds for the Edwards' "distro" for standard NPCs.
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

Yukiko wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 am Yes. It still needs a lot of work. Probably more that is yet to be discovered but I have to defend the POL community here. Many of us, including myself despite how I feel about the official Edwards "distro", have put a lot time into fixing bugs and other problems it has. The problem we face here is the same one we faced when Austin started what was to be the official Distro with POL 0.96-0.98. He started it, I think, with the intent of doing it all himself. I can't be sure but that was my impression. Anyway, his personal life or job or other hobbies (RC helicopters for one) took more of his time and he asked for help completing it. It happens to all of us so I am not criticising him. Anyway, most of us then and now are busy with our own shards and don't have a lot of time to donate to finishing another project. It's unfortunate that Austin's Distro languished unfinished because it was clearly a superior product.
Hi Yukiko. I know that because I'm testing this distro daily and I found already tons of bugs. Thank you for the explanation. It's good to know how it all started but pls don't understand me wrong, you don't need to defend the POL community, I'm not here to critic or complain... maybe.. a little bit :p
So what I am saying is you are probably going to have to do most of the work on sounds and animations yourself.

Thats no problem, just a matter of time..
I just thought it would be right to tell and ask for help, because what is the point of having multiple official distros if no one is supporting it or know how it works.. Atm every time I'm able to fix 1 bug, 3 new bugs pop up. :x
It's unfortunate because POL seriously needs a working proper Distro as well as a way to easily download, install, and easily configure the Core along with a good Distro.
SO damn true! that should be the number 1 task to do atm for this community. the lack of information and updates is keeping new ppl way of joining this community. I mean, there is enough information but its all hidden and hard to get access to for a newbie. Some ppl like me don't come here because they are game developers. They come here because they like ultima online and want to make their own version of it and ofc by doing it they learn how to use and script.

ThisIsMe, Did you be able to fix all BrainAI bugs?
All missing sounds and animations are an annoying problem but the main problem is that no npc is moving at all!! They dont wake up from the sleep mode if players enter the screen. If the npc is red they will aggro you and attack you but no npc will wander or leave the sleep mode.
Did you found a way to fix it?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I know that because I'm testing this distro daily and I found already tons of bugs. Thank you for the explanation. It's good to know how it all started but pls don't understand me wrong, you don't need to defend the POL community, I'm not here to critic or complain... maybe.. a little bit :p
When you find the bugs, PLEASE post the fixes to the Distro Patch Submissions furum so I can make the changes in the repository. As for "defending" the POL community, perhaps "defend" was too strong of a word. I probably should have chosen something else. I didn't take your comment as an attack but I felt like I needed to explain why sometimes, a lot of times, these problems don't get fixed. Also,, I think most POL users are probably running "legacy" (older) scripts and aren't switching to the "distro" so they aren't finding these bugs or worse, they used to be POL users and have moved on from POL to another emulator, which shall remain nameless, because it is updated regularly and IS easy to install. Despite that, I still believe POL is a far more feature rich emulator than "that which shall not be named" and eScript a much easier language to get started with than C#.

As for criticising and complaining, leave that to me. :) I do enough of that already.
SO damn true! that should be the number 1 task to do atm for this community. the lack of information and updates is keeping new ppl way of joining this community. I mean, there is enough information but its all hidden and hard to get access to for a newbie. Some ppl like me don't come here because they are game developers. They come here because they like ultima online and want to make their own version of it and ofc by doing it they learn how to use and script.
This has been an issue for a long time. Be glad you came in at this point. When I started working with POL in 2002 we never even had the POL Docs page. There were a few text files that documented some function calls and other things. Then Racalac developed the POL Docs web page which pretty much is what you see today. I almost wept for joy when he gave me a sneak peek at it and it has helped immensely.

In my not-so-humble-opinion, what we are lacking is both leadership and direction. We need a project leader who finds people within our community of users or outside of it to whom he can delegate the responsibility of certain tasks. Those people have to be wiling to do those tasks to completion. They don't necessarily have get them done quickly, just get them done. When it comes to direction I mean short term and long term goals. Short term should include such things as an installer for POL Core at the very least. That includes a "configurator" for setting the various values in the cfg files necessary for the Core to run. Long term goals are a bit more difficult to define but not that much more so. One thing that needs to be decided, again this is my opinion, is if the Official Distro should track with the OSI, I guess now it's Broad Sword, version of UO or do we go another direction with having 6 schools of magic, unusual or even, dare I say weird, NPCs, and a class system? Do you sense any criticism here? Good. I intended it. The reason I think "the emulator which shall not be named" has left POL in the dust is because we, and I include myself here, have dropped the ball and it was dropped a long time ago. Someone needs to pick it up and get POL back in the game.

Anyway, I hope POL becomes truly, not the Penultimate OnLine emulator, but the Preeminent OnLine emulator.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

In my opinion the Edwards "Distro" should probably be dropped as the "official" distro.

Whilst its nice that you can start a server and get in and look around, large portions of it seem to be broken and need bug fixing to be done.

I've had multiple projects in recent time where we've looked at using the Edwards Distro and I've endeavoured to try and overcome the bugs but as Pumpkins mentioned it seems like everytime you fix 1 thing something else comes up as broken.

Looking at alot of the scripts they look very similar to Mytharria and in somecases are the same thing with function names changed and documentation taken out.

Having simple things like NPC's not working correctly or spells not working correctly, timed script bugs and a high sysload from first compile would only drive people away.

Kiko i haven't looked at your Alt Distro to be honest, so i don't know if its a fully functioning shard but maybe it would be better to advertise that as the Distro and Edwards as an Un-maintained Alt-Distro instead?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I believe it is fully functional. It obviously needs a lot of updating to bring it close to ToL compliance and there probably are some bugs here and there but you can launch it and all the skills work except snooping and stealing. Those were not implemented in the pre-0.96 Distros either. If you've seen the Official POL 0.95 Distro or worked with it, that's what I started from to "build" the Distro-Alt. It's very basic. There's nothing fancy like a class system or anything like different schools of magic. I intended for it to be a working starting point for newcomers as was the original intent of the POL developers early on. Start simple and add what you want. Oh yes, It's Linux compliant thanks to Aderal's help. :)