droping support of older compilers

Here you can post threads specific to the current release of the core (099)

Moderator: POL Developer

Turley
POL Developer

droping support of older compilers

Post by Turley »

for the guys who compile the svn:
we will drop support of older compilers. this means on windows side removal of anything older then vs2012. on GCC side something like older then 4.6 don't know the exact version.

before the bitching starts: hurray for all the nice c++11 features :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: droping support of older compilers

Post by Yukiko »

Will we be able to compile using the free VS 2012 Express or will we have to fork out the huge $$$ for the retail version of VS 2012?

Also, does this mean that there will be a compiled version when there is a new commit.

To be honest, that's the only reason I started compiling the code myself was because there were never any current development binaries available.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

sure. with the 2012 express version you also have finally direct support for 64bit. so no need to install the SDK.

compiling and publishing every commit would be way to much overhead. let's see if we can release more often. the added VM for Linux is a big step into that direction.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Great. Isn't there a way to automate the compiling of code? I know that some projects compile nightly builds that are auto-compiled but I don't know how that is done. It might not be practical for POL to do something like that.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Nooooooooo at least VS2010 :angel:
With 2012 there's no support for Windows Server 2003 (and Windows XP)!
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

update 1 readded xp support
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Yes, only XP. No 2003 (I tested because I need it!)
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

Google says it also supports 2003. how did you compile? changed the toolset?
per default its not compatible I just changed the 32bit release to be xp compatible.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Weeehh. I still use 2010.

This means... I defer all work to the people who are actually active.
Nothing but frothy rum drinks, sunshine and bikini clad jogging girls from here-on-out.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'm with you Austin with respect to VS 2010. I realize technology must march forward but sometimes it seems like I am marching to a slower rhythm. At least we can use the free VS Express 2012 to compile.

Now where did I put my MS_DOS 6 floppies????.....
*grins*
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

I would have no problem to keep all old vs project files and keep adding new ones.
but (a big one) its not like the last 10 years that a new version means only new fanzy GUI stuff.
instead its the first vs release which has at least for the biggest features a full support of the new c++ standard.

since everyone knows c++ I don't need to say more ... :)

or in different words (from bjarne the creator of c++):
C++11 feels like a new language.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Im not actually complaining. I'll order a copy of 2012 eventually.
In the mean time, I have an excuse to not do anything but drink a beer ! :bacondance:
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

hehe I know that you do not complain. but maybe it helps all the other people to understand why they can not use some 10 year old compiler any more.
I would not order vs 2012 first of all the express version can finally also compile 64bit without installing several other stuff and second vs2013 will be published in a few weeks.
(open for discussion if we should directly drop vs2012 then, or based on the maybe unsupported features itself. don't know exactly what they will include. generic lambdas sound great I think they will support them.. )
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

I agree with Turley. C++11 is a completely new language (I still have to use it more) and it's worth the pain to use it. I think VS 2010 had some support for it already, though not complete.

Both Tomi and I are using VS 2012 Express for now and it works perfectly. Even feels faster than VS 2010. ;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'm certainly not complaining. I totally understand why you want to upgrade the source to the latest version of C++. I'm just happy that I can use the free version of VS to compile it. I was fortunate though to get a free copy of the VS 2012 Pro through the WebSpark developers program before Microsoft killed it. So when you move to 2013 I hope the free version supports compiling POL.

I don't like the direction Microsoft is moving with Visual Studio. They are breaking out different versions depending on whether you are writing programs for the web, the desktop, or the "new UI" (formerly Metro). It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to make the free Express version only for "new UI" programs and call VS for the desktop a "pro" version with the appropriate price tag attached.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Turley,
With the changes made moving to VS 2012 I can't find the configure.bat file that OWHorus mentioned or the batchfiles you referenced in this post for building the STLport5 library. Could you briefly explain how to build them under the new system?

Thanks.
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

There is no need for the STLPort with vs2012 anymore, the only thing you need to do is unpack the boost lib ( there is a .bat file for it )
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks Tomi.