Can't resolve random crashes.

Here you can post threads specific to the current release of the core (099)

Moderator: POL Developer

andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Can't resolve random crashes.

Post by andenixa »

Hello everyone,
Our system expirincing server crashes at random. The regular routine to deal with the matter is to fallback to the scripts where they didn't and redevelop the innovations from scratch, totally removing the crashing scripts. Does anyone actually know if its possible to trace the actual reason or a script responsible for that. Several times we had a 0-byte size dump. I have a sispicion that the df files might be the cuprit, but you can never know.
CWO
POL Expert

Re: Can't resolve random crashes.

Post by CWO »

does pol.log say anything at the time of the crash?
andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Post by andenixa »

Most of the crashes go with the unhandled exception, but some of those with the assertion failure. The last script usually is a random script.

//--

Failed to create worker thread for Client#4904 (errno = 12)
Assertion Failed: locker == 0, .\polsem.cpp, line 27
Forcing stack backtrace.
Failed to save dump file to 'POL099beta-2010-01-02-20110221160943-0.dmp' (error -2147024865)Last Script: pkg/systems/housing/signcontrol.ecl PC: 69
Aborting due to assertion failure.

//--

Failed to create worker thread for Client#8615 (errno = 12)
Forcing stack backtrace.
Failed to save dump file to 'POL099beta-2010-01-02-20110224154417-0.dmp' (error -2147024865)Last Script: scripts/ai/explosionkillpcs.ecl PC: 1646

//---

[02/23 14:34:04] Unhandled Exception! Writing Minidump file.
Post this file with explanation and last lines from log files on http://forums.polserver.com/tracker.php for the development team.
Saved dump file to 'POL099beta-2010-01-02-20110222163848-0.dmp'
Last Script: pkg/spells/earth/risingfire.ecl PC: 2188

//--
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

LastScript can be misleading - its what script the core was running when it crashed, but sometimes another script jumps into that slot during the crash (threads do that).
Im sure Turley will take a peek at the .dmp files and figure it out. I am on hammock & beer duty this.. year 8)
andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Post by andenixa »

All I am getting nowadays is:

Failed to create worker thread for Client#2033 (errno = 12)
Forcing stack backtrace.
Failed to save dump file to 'POL099beta-2010-01-02-20110305020510-0.dmp' (error -2147024865)Last Script: pkg/skills/lumberjacking/lumberjack.ecl PC: 35

With zero sized dmp file.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

If this is a build of the newest SVN, I think Turley was doing something with threads and this may be one of those problems that creep up on you when working with threads. The dump is 0-byte because something possibly on the operating system level is interfering with POL's ability to write the dump file. What OS are you using for this?

The best way to deal with this in the mean time is in POL.cfg, write

Code: Select all

AssertionFailureAction=shutdown
This will cause a worldsave and graceful shutdown when it runs into an Assertion Failure. Although there is an option to continue, I advise against setting it to continue which will make POL stop the thread and continue on because this means something in POL will not be running until you reboot causing very undesirable results in many cases (if the Listener stops, no one will be able to connect, if the Scripts Thread stops, no scripts will run at all, ect...). I think there is also batchfile or something posted on this board that will immediately start POL again once its closed. This is about all I can recommend for now.
andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Post by andenixa »

That might help in a meantime, thank you.
Do you think enabling low fragmentation heap might elevate the issue?
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

I don't think it'll make a difference since this doesn't look like a memory issue which LFH tries to address. Also, LFH is only useful in Windows 2000, XP, and 2003. So if you're not running one of those, it's not even going to do anything at all.