New clients are laggy

Here you can post threads requesting help on the official POL Ultima Online Emulator Core 096.
Note: Core 096 is no longer officially supported.

Moderator: POL Developer

Repsak
Master Poster

New clients are laggy

Post by Repsak »

This problem has been know before POL96 was released, but after we switched to 96, our players has been "forced" to use new(about 4.X) clients.

The problem is that some players with 150+ ping (Shard is in Denmark, and the player could be in quebec) are experiencing that 4.X and higher clients are laggy, but if they use ex. 3.0.0I everything is fine.
I have heard rumours that 4.x and higher clients send more data-packages, but I don’t know if it’s true, or if it has anything to do with this. The problem has been confirmed by several players, most from the US-area.

I should mention that most of our players have no problem with the latest 5.0.2g client, so it seem to be isolated to player with high ping and a medium fast internetconnection.

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem, and of course a solution?
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

V2 clients are the fastest.
V3 clients aren't too bad
V4 clients are horribly slow unless low ping
V5 clients aren't too bad.

V4 clients start to experience noticeable jerkiness over 200mS or so.

This applies to 095 and 096 cores.

I strongly advise you move the shard to v5 clients only. Downside to this is that v5 clients can be hard to get working with earlier versions (eg verdata support missing from v5 etc)
Repsak
Master Poster

Post by Repsak »

We do support and recommend our players to use the laterst 5.0.2g client, but some of them still have problems.
Could the problem be hardware related? Does the 4.x and higher clients require more CPU power then the older clients to run smoothly?
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

We do support and recommend our players to use the laterst 5.0.2g client, but some of them still have problems.
Do these players have a good ping (30-50)? I read somewhere that the desktop resolution could play a role in that issue. If the destop resolution is way higher than uo resolution, they could have lag. I never tested that to check if this is true.
Repsak
Master Poster

Post by Repsak »

Most (but not all) who complaints about lag with the new clients, have 150 ping. The odd part is that they did not experince lag with 3.0.0I cleint and 150 ping, but with 5.0.2g.
The lag they complain about it when they are mounted and run.