start_script help please

Here you can post threads requesting help on the official POL Ultima Online Emulator Core 096.
Note: Core 096 is no longer officially supported.

Moderator: POL Developer

Poi
Grandmaster Poster

start_script help please

Post by Poi »

Okay so here is my script to start off with:

Code: Select all

use os;
use uo;

include "include/attributes";

program seed(who, item)
var x := who.x;
var y := who.y;
var z := who.z;

var parms := {};
	parms[1] := who;
	parms[2] := "0x12";
	if(start_script("seedling", parms))

var parms1 := {};
	parms1[1] := who;
	parms1[2] := "0x10";
	if(start_script("seedling", parms))
SendSysMessage(who, "Success");
endif
else
SendSysMessage(who, "Failure");
exit;
endif
SubtractAmount(item, 1);
endprogram

and the seedling script:

use os;
use uo;

program seedling(parms)

var where := parms[1];
	var what := parms[2];

var x:= where.x;
	var y:= where.y;
	var z:= where.z;

sleep(600);

CreateItemAtLocation(x, y, z, what, 1);

endprogram

Now for some reason, when the script is called(the first script) it just says failure which should indicate something is wrong with how I have my Start_Script set up, anything look wrong to you guys?

The debug.txt says:
Script Error in 'scripts/items/seed.ecl' PC=70:
Call to function SendSysMessage:
Parameter 1: Expected datatype String, got datatype Error
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: start_script help please

Post by Yukiko »

How is the first script getting called? If it is from another script how does it know the reference value of "who" in the SendSysMessage? In a use script such as that attached to a hammer POL passes the reference value for "who" (ie. the one using the item) to the use script. So if that first script is being started from a start_script call then you'll have to pass the reference for the player you want the SysMessage send to.
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

The first script is being called by an item(double click)

And I don't think its the sendsysmessage that is causing the problem because I still get the second sysmessage ingame when I run the script

Updated, same problems:

use os;
use uo;

program seed(who, item)
var where := who;

parms[1] := where;
	var create := start_script("seedling", parms);
	if(create)
		var parms1 := {};
		parms1[1] := who;
		parms1[2] := "0x10";
		var create1 := start_script("seedling", parms1);
		if(create1)
		SendSysMessage(who, "Success");
		endif
	else
	SendSysMessage(who, "Failure");
	exit;
	endif

SubtractAmount(item, 1);
endprogram
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

So you get the "Failure" message but the "Success" message is erroring out?

The error message is giving you a Program Counter number of 70. Have you tried compiling with the -l option set and looked at the .lst file to verify where line (PC) 70 is? Sorry I can't find anything else to look at.
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

I haven't tried that, is there any possibility it could be script locations? I have both scripts in scripts/items/ folder because I wasn't sure where start_script would call from, I assumed it would call from the directory the original script is in, correct?

I tried ecompile.exe -l scripts\items\seed.src but nothing came too, how exactly do I use -l?
Last edited by Poi on Sun May 29, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I don't think it's a location issue and start_script should assume the script you want started is in the directory the calling script is in. I'd try a couple of things. First, get a new error report showing the new PC location since it looks like you've made a few changes from the first script. Set the -l compile option and look at the list file and see what statement the error is pointed at. Sometimes POL gets confused and reports errors in an odd way and the error is actually not what the verbage says it is or it wasn't reported in a human readable sentence : ) The next thing I would do is probably dumb sounding but I'd comment out all but the two SendSysMessage statements and begin addind back stuff til you get an error.

Looking at the script again, the seedling script isn't returning a value. If the seedling is created it should return a 1 and if not a 0. The if(create) statement would not get called I believe unless seedling returns a 1. You can put a return 1; statement just before the endprogram line to accomplish that.

That's about all I can offer ATM. I'm off to work soon but good luck. I'll pop back on tomorrow and see if anyone else has offered some actual help or if you fixed the issue.
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

I added return 1 before the endprogram, but the problem with that is that it waits 10 minutes before creating the item, so it shouldn't return 1 until 10 minutes later correct?

I checked the debug again and found nothing for the script now, everything compiles fine, so I took out the if statements (I commented out the sendsysmessage too) and commented out the wait time in the seedling too, and it still isn't creating the item =S

I have added a sendsysmessage to the seedling script, and it does not get sent(which tells me the seedling script isn't being called correctly)
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

So I'm using this code now for the seed file(first one, called by the item):

parms[1] := x;
SendSysMessage(who, x);
exit;
and cannot get anything from who.x, no matter how I do it for some reason =S

i have also tried:

parms[1] := who.x;
SendSysMessage(who, who.x);
exit;

however, if I put CreateItemAtLocation(who.x, who.y, who.z, item, 1);
that creates the item at my feet perfectly :S
but for some reason who.x will not return a value =S
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

OK First of all, I'm assuming this script is a "Use Script" so someone uses something (a seed) and in 10 minutes, it grows into a plant in the start_script... There really isn't a reason to start_script from this though. You can do this within the script if you detach it from the character. Here's how I would do it...

use os;
use uo;

program seed(who, item)

// Start by saving the current location...
     var y := who.y;
     var z := who.z;

// Consume the object and ensure we have consumed it.
     If (!SubtractAmount(item, 1))
          SendSysMessage(who, "Failure to consume the seed!");

// The seed wasn't consumed so stop because of the failure!
          return 0;
     endif

// Detach from the character so they can do other things while waiting
     Detach();

// Wait for 10 minutes...
     Sleep(600);

// Create Items
     CreateItemAtLocation(x, y, z, 0x12, 1);
     CreateItemAtLocation(x, y, z, 0x10, 1);

// And we're done!
endprogram

Some notes...
in your declaration for the variable parms, you have "0x10" and "0x12"... you're using hex numbers as a string? This may cause an error in CreateItemAtLocation...
SendSysMessage will NOT print who.x unless you CStr it... - SendSysMessage(who, CStr(who.x)); <--- who.x is an INTEGER and the message can only be a STRING otherwise it fails...
Yukiko wrote:Looking at the script again, the seedling script isn't returning a value. If the seedling is created it should return a 1 and if not a 0. The if(create) statement would not get called I believe unless seedling returns a 1. You can put a return 1; statement just before the endprogram line to accomplish that.
The return value of a script run by start_script is ignored because the start_script function doesn't wait for the script it started to complete... You're thinking of Run_Script_To_Completion (Runs the script as critical) or (in 097+) Run_Script (non-critical)... var create := start_script("seedling", parms); would instead return 1 if the script is successfully started (regardless of what it does within the script) and 0 if there was an error (script not found, invalid parameter, ect...).
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

Absolutely perfect! Thank you!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Ah yes CWO. Sorry Poi for the mistake. I'm glad someone smarter than I came along. Thanks CWO