Ram Information

Here you can post threads requesting help on the official POL Ultima Online Emulator Core 096.
Note: Core 096 is no longer officially supported.

Moderator: POL Developer

Marcolo88
New User

Ram Information

Post by Marcolo88 »

Hi, i am an italian developer and i've a little question for you.
I've converted my custom pol 095 to pol 096 and i've noticed that with the same scripts, with the same Data, my Ram cost are passed from 25% (of 256 mb) to 55% .
It's normal or there's a problem? (the scripts are equal !).

Thank you a lot for the reply and sorry for my disaster english :)

Marco
ncrsn
Grandmaster Poster

Post by ncrsn »

I don't see a problem in that. RAM is there to be used.

Though 256MB is not much and could cause swapping (using hard disk as RAM = slow), but I'm no-one to say it's not enough for your use.
Marcolo88
New User

Post by Marcolo88 »

thank you for the fast reply.

Then, you call me that pol096 cost more memory ram at difference of the pol 095?

note that i see the big usage immediately when the pol il launched and not when the script are long running; and i have built only the britannia realm

thank you again
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

096 and 097 do use more RAM, and the more realms you build the more it will use. Don't forget that each object in RAM now contains the .realm property.

You will probably need more than 1GB of RAM in the server now. On my shard pol.exe uses 600MB depending how long it's been running. 2GB is probably a good point to aim for if you aim to use packethooks.
ncrsn
Grandmaster Poster

Post by ncrsn »

I don't know. But because the internal changes of core between 095 -> 096 (there were a few, as you know) I think it's possible. I helped to do one 095 to 096 conversion but I cannot recall that anyone had noticed a difference in RAM usage - yet it's possible no-one cared or remembered to check it out.

To summarize my point again, as long as RAM usage looks normal (~ comparing to amount of objects) and server works out fine, I'd not be worried. I know doubled usage may look odd but I don't know a reason why it wouldn't be for the greater good (more stuff in the RAM means likely less stuff to be read from HD). RAM usage of 140MB is not much after all.

--

OldnGrey, I too think that 1-2GB of RAM is good amount to have, but if server is used to work on 256MB (likely just a small shard?), I wouldn't mind recommending upgrade. How scary is it to be told to get eigth times more RAM just because the switch to POL 096?
Marcolo88
New User

Post by Marcolo88 »

thank you :)

do you know if pol 097 cost minor RAM respect pol 096?

it's reliable?

thank again and sorry for the all question
ncrsn
Grandmaster Poster

Post by ncrsn »

The current 097-release is, aside some bugs (check its bug report forum), working great. I cannot say for sure of its memory consuming habits comparing to older cores, but I doubt its as noticeable as yours case 096 was.

Why wouldn't you try to convert into and tell the results?
Marcolo88
New User

Post by Marcolo88 »

ncrsn wrote:The current 097-release is, aside some bugs (check its bug report forum), working great. I cannot say for sure of its memory consuming habits comparing to older cores, but I doubt its as noticeable as yours case 096 was.

Why wouldn't you try to convert into and tell the results?
yes i think i'll do it!

in any case, today i have run the pol 095 distro base anche the memory in the task manager reach 42.556. When converted with the distro 096 patch for 095, the memory reach 130.000 !! so i'm not the only :P

in these days i think i'll test the memory of 097.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

I've been running the current core on a live shard for a while now.
I Recommend it.
Last edited by OldnGrey on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcolo88
New User

Post by Marcolo88 »

what do you mean?