Revival

Made a small change or new addition to the Distro that makes a difference? You can post the changes here in .patch or .diff file format, for others to use or even added to the official Distro SVN!

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

MuadDib
Former Developer

Revival

Post by MuadDib »

Just an update.

Some people have sent me a few patches via PM. That is fine, but I would love to see more involvement by people hehe. We have a great community, with strong developers out there. I bring up this "revival" in the Distro Patch Submission forum because...... very soon a new forum like this one will be added. For the core. So take that as you will ;)

We are moving into a new phase with POL, for Distro and Core, and would love to see you all get involved. Remember, Distro does not aim to be an EA Clone, it aims to be an example scriptbase that works. We don't want it like some of the others out there, we want it unique, with new ideas, new code, so you have room to be creative. ELSoft has already stepped up and has offered to do some work as he can and submit it. Thanks mate. Remember, all patches that get applied to the SVN for core or distro, get credits where they are needed. And don't be shy, if you want to add your name in comments cuz it's code you wrote or fixed, DO IT. This is a community project after all :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Revival

Post by Yukiko »

Let's see...
People can submit to the Distro because the code is available for download and testing.
How would people be able to submit to a closed source core?
Could it be possible that POL will be licensed as open source soon?
That certainly is the only way I know that the "community at large" could submit core patches.
ELSoft
Journeyman Poster

Post by ELSoft »

I am a great promoter of the open source, but I believe that there is a time for every thing, for now I only see that the core (that is close source) this more advanced than the Distro (that is open source).If the community does not contribute to what is currently open, which makes us think that everything would be better if everything was open?

It is true that the core even lacks many things, but if I do not have a distro that take advantage on what is today, this is the same as nothing.

I have every intention of implementing the 098 distro for my server, but without a stable version i can not do anything. That's why i try to use all my time to complete what is missing.
Sadahar
Adept Poster

Post by Sadahar »

Yeah would be nice to have a fully functional distro.
Anyway there is a little problem with Ultima Online.. its comunity is about to die, and that is not good for new servers.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I agree with both of you on all the points you make and I admit I am as guilty as a lot of the community for not contributing to the Distro.

Also, I was neither promoting or rejecting the idea that POL Core become Open Source Software (OSS). I was merely speculating on how, given the source code for Core is not generally available, can the community post patches to Core in the new forum Maud Dib mentioned.

I am a proponent of OSS as a general rule. Mostly because it allows me to have access to great software at an affordable price. Yeah, I'm cheap. However I support a creators right to release his or her software in the manner they desire, whether it be open or closed source.

Anyway, it will be exciting to see what's coming for POL.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

There is a project already on Sourceforge for the Core.......

We have not settled on the license yet, so the full source is not available yet, but some documents and other things are already on the SVN for it. Once a license is chosen, etc, I will be adding a compilable 099/1.0 (whichever we decide to use, lol) to the SVN. Documents on there already including compiling, required libraries, debugging, etc. So coming along nicely so far.
Damien White
Journeyman Poster

Post by Damien White »

I really hope you consider going no higher then .99, as it would be really nice to allow those that take the code and run with it, calling thier particular flavor 1.0 [Personal title]. So then everyone can kinda keep in mind everything before 1.0 would be all official closed sourse.

Otherwise you may find people distrubuting things like 1.1, 1.10, 1.2009 etc.

Consider this just another brain fart if you wish.

BTW - what is the URL for the SVN on the core (stuff already posted)?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'd hope that the "Official POL Core" be managed similar to other OSS releases like Audacity for example. Forks could occur but there would always be an official Core.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

There will always be an official Core :)
Damien White
Journeyman Poster

Post by Damien White »

I am really glad to hear that.

I am wondering, MaudDip, how does one connect with those involved with the Script Distro Team?

I have some ideas I am working on, that I think would both, make scripting for newbies easier, and add some diversity to POLs current Script Distro. And since I am really working for the fun of coding rather then the intent of running my own shard, it would seem I have some quality time and dedication I can devote to coding.

Thanks in advance.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

this forum is the best way, or in IRC using the Chat link above (or an IRC client like Mirc)