Pirates & Ninjas

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

Which team do you vote for?

Pirates
61%
Ninjas
39%

Total votes: 36

Austin
Former Developer

Pirates & Ninjas

Post by Austin »

Discussion was split from http://forums.polserver.com/viewtopic.php?t=937

Best version of UO ever... Pirates vs. Ninjas

FTW!

Also..Rowan blows underaged goats.
Last edited by Austin on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'll put my money on the Pirates.
Marilla

Post by Marilla »

Everyone's a Ninja-hater! :twisted:

I'll jump on the bandwagon...

...as long as Austin's sharing the beer! :)
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

You generalize far too much.. "Everyone" isn't a ninja hater..
The ninja lovers aren't ninja haters, for example.

Resouces for PvN arguments.

http://www.piratesvsninjas.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_versus_Ninjas
http://www.piratesversusninjas.com/
etc.
tekproxy
Forum Regular

Post by tekproxy »

(Note: The plural of ninja is ninja.)

To truely understand the concept of pirates vs ninja it's important to know what real ninja and real pirates were like.

Due to the nature of their work, many ninja clans were highly secretive and jealously guarded their training methods. It's difficult for the modern western mind to understand just how skilled a ninja could be without doing a hefty amount of homework. However, the general premise of ninja and some of their training methods are known. Essentially a ninja is a trained assassin. The definition of ninja is thus:
A member of a class of 14th-century Japanese mercenary agents who were trained in the martial arts and hired for covert operations such as assassination and sabotage.
There is a myth saying that some clans would throw new born babies into water and the ones that survived would be allowed to live. This is not so unbelievable considering babies know how to swim instinctively (ref) the Spartans threw their children off of cliffs if they were determined unfit. (ref)

Different ninja had different levels of skill and different numbers of techniques but generally the standard was relatively high compared to the regular person.

Pirates were and still are simply regular people with very little "training" required to become a pirate. Yes--that's right. We are not talking about the pretend pirates glorified in movies and on television but real pirates. Essentially: Criminals on ships. There's really little more than can be said about pirates. Any sincere inquiry into the realm of "pirates" results in these simple facts and little more.

If I have to explain who would win in a fight between a trained assassin and some random on a boat than you're in luck because this is the internet and I can't hit you! :)
Marilla

Post by Marilla »

tekproxy wrote:(Note: The plural of ninja is ninja.)
How can a plural exist of something that never even existed in the singular? :P
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

I think what needs to be established... is the terms of the showdown of the Ninjai and Pirati.

A battle of wits, strength, job perks, job benefits, job fun and overall fashion.

Wits
Pirates - don't need to be smart, even a zulu hotel shard admin could be a pirate.
Ninjas - Well.. they are from Japan. Test scores from schools say enough.
That simpsons episode.. guys with a PHD in computer science worked in Mc Donalds.

Strength
Pirates - They are stronger in number. Seen the movie Ants? Those grass hoppers had no chance once they figured it out.
Ninjas - Sure lifting weights.. one on one they would be better but its PIRATES vs. NINJA (as Tekproxy put it) so the dude in black is way out numbered. No wonder their master calls the apprentice "young grasshopper"...

Job Perks & Benefits
Pirates - Rum, women, big boats, shiny stuff, don't need school. Get a ride at Disney Land made after you, and a movie all about you.
Ninja - Anyone seen... Ninjas of the... whatever they do movie? They don't even get an amusement park ride. Clearly they suck.

Overall Fashion
Pirates - They just win because they are capable of fashion.
Ninjas - Black... Isnt that what Emo kids also wear? I guess Ninjas are really kids who felt their parents didn't understand them.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

So a few years ago while working on TSSE, I also developed a paralell shard called "Pirates vs. Ninjas" I split the discussion and added a poll and in a few days ill have that shard up to date with 097. :lol:
tekproxy
Forum Regular

Post by tekproxy »

This is really about Reality vs. Fantasy.

If you keep the discussion in the realm of reality than obviously the superior would be the ninja as I have explained previously. If one disagrees one has merely to examine the fact that pirates were and are regular criminals on boats--nothing more.

What is happening here and on the internet in general is the discussion is being drawn into more murky waters--that is, the realm of fantasy. Characteristics of both pirates and ninja have been severely distorted and exaggerated through time and with the media, which makes opinions of superiority highly subjective. Naturally with such subjectivity it is impossible to clearly determine which side would win under any circumstances and any discussions thereof become a testament to one's over-abundance of free time, desire to attempt to sound intelligent online, an interest in pseudo-intellectual and ultimately unending debates (spaces vs tabs, anyone?), etc. There's nothing wrong with any of this, of course. I'd hop in and have fun with everyone else, but if I were going to argue in a never-ending debate it would have to be more evenly matched.

Ninja do have an amusement ride:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search
Datus
Apprentice Poster

Post by Datus »

I think the fact that the vote is split 50/50 means... well... errr nevermind...

Anyway, if you really want to know about ninjas then may I direct you to the ULTIMATE source of information on the topic - Yes. That's right. The Official Ninja Webpage.

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

I could be killed for sharing this information so... F*** it. I do it for truth!!
tekproxy
Forum Regular

Post by tekproxy »

Do you have stairs in your house?
tekproxy wrote:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... ja_browser[/b]-a&rls=net.realultimatepower%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=ninja+ride&btnG=Search
Datus
Apprentice Poster

Post by Datus »

tekproxy wrote:Do you have stairs in your house?
tekproxy wrote:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... ja_browser[/b]-a&rls=net.realultimatepower%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=ninja+ride&btnG=Search

Actually that link just leads me to a google search for "ninja ride". Therefore that link does not lead to truth and Bruce Lee says one must be direct in their style of fighting.

Bruce Lee was not a ninja... but in some ways he was a pirate.
Datus
Apprentice Poster

Post by Datus »

Austin wrote: Ninja - Anyone seen... Ninjas of the... whatever they do movie? They don't even get an amusement park ride. Clearly they suck.
Ok. I may be playing the devils advocate here but... are you saying you never heard of American Ninja!!!!???? Uhhhhhh, it was like the best 80s movie ever!! I mean comon, even the name says enough. "American Ninja". Psssssh gawd!

Also, you can't argue the emo kid thing because pirates are kind of trendy since Johnny Depp took on the image. And if we know anything about emo kids, they love Johnny Depp... especially emo boys.

Don't get me wrong here I'm all for pirates... just, you gotta do the right thing for the right reasons you know. Johnny Depp is NOT the right reason. Unless you're an emo boy.

Now where exactly is the beer?
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

While ninjas may appear cool............

Pirates are a jack of all trades. Generally they have to be to get by. Cuz they suck otherwise. I vote for the Pirates just cuz I like Sid's way to portray them in a game. And I hate the old ninja gaiden game vs sid mier's game.

Polly want a cracker? Tough. Suck on an egg instead.
Marilla

Post by Marilla »

tekproxy wrote: If you keep the discussion in the realm of reality than obviously the superior would be the ninja as I have explained previously. If one disagrees one has merely to examine the fact that pirates were and are regular criminals on boats--nothing more.
If we're talkin' the realm of reality, then what we have is Pirates vs... (nothing). Clearly, again, the Pirates win!
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Also all these of these guys http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14929873/ were ninjas.

Why?
1. They were 'sneaking' around.
2. The one with black hair.. we all know ninjas LOVE black.
3. Ninjas like to make things dead.. they were around dead stuff.
4. Pirates would never resort to that, they just get a fine wench, and some rum.
tekproxy
Forum Regular

Post by tekproxy »

Datus wrote:
tekproxy wrote:Do you have stairs in your house?

Actually that link just leads me to a google search for "ninja ride". Therefore that link does not lead to truth and Bruce Lee says one must be direct in their style of fighting.

Subtleties are not lost, they're murdered.

Someone posts a link to realultimatepower.net and no one notices my clever google URL. :(
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Happens when youre pro-ninja.. time for you to switch teams. :P
Voicer
Neophyte Poster

Post by Voicer »

i choose pirates! i hate ninja SE expansion , and i was playing pirate character once :P

(ehh, ok, and pirates drinks like me (or me like them)) :>
Immora

Post by Immora »

YARRRRR!

Clearly pirates are the best. It won't take a cool PvN shard to prove it, but won't it make us feel even better to see just how much ninjas get smacked down in it?

Allow me to demonstrate my loyalty to the pirates by showing you how I'm already a pirate in my GM form.

Marilla

Post by Marilla »

Pirate chicks sure are better to look at than ninja chicks!

I mean... gotta figure there's other reasons for ninja-folks to be sneaking around, wearing black, not wanting anyone to see them...
Madman
POL Developer

Post by Madman »

This is why ninja win:

http://www.askaninja.com/
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

How cheatish.. www.askapirate.com goes to www.askaninja.com

Sounds like ninjas took a few pointers from the superior pirates.
Datus
Apprentice Poster

Post by Datus »

Psssh. As if Pirates would have a lame-o website like that. You see, ninjas are just about cheap marketing.

Pirates don't even need to advertise cause they're so cool everyone just knows it!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Besides Prates are creative in their attire.

*looks up at Immora's pic*

How creative is it to wear all black?

No offence meant toward Johnny Cash ofcourse. Atleast he wrote a song explaining why he wore black.