MS techs suck

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

MuadDib
Former Developer

MS techs suck

Post by MuadDib »

Today was a wonderful day. Dealt with a customer who couldn't get Windows Update to work. Dell and MS said it was her isp's problem, not thiers. She went to Tier 3 support with MS and Dell both, to be in the end, told it was us.

In 15 seconds, I had found, and emailed, the fix to her. 30 seconds later she was doing updates. She spent over a month, and $100 or more with MS, to come to this resoltion.

I love it that their own techs, can't find crap in their own knowledgebase on their own website, and it takes me 15 seconds to find her problem and the fix. Sad part is, it was with an ERROR CODE it was giving her........ jesus christ these guys are morons.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

And, as austin would put it...............

FIRST POST IN NEW FORUM!

:P
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

And yet... no one cares :P
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Exactly.....

But, I needed to vent. Keeps me SANE... or somewhat anyway, lol
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Yes CWO, but these off topic forums.. slow-mode chat.. let us just have fun!
Oh yeah, Muad, no one cares.. Infact when you called me and I was at the bar I turned to my friends and they were like "What ever youre about to say Austin, we already dont care!" >:(
Marilla

Post by Marilla »

I don't care either, but I'll briefly act like I do, if only to actually try to one-up you with my own anectdote!

Hmm... no, really don't have an 'anecdote'. Just a general observation; Though many of them are nice enough folks, just doing their job the way their bosses told them to, I have found little use over the years for tech support at any 'big company', whether that be a large, regional ISP (*cough* Charter*cough*), a big software company, or a PC maker. Often, you seem to have to spend at least a half hour on the phone ruling out the things that you already ruled out yourself, because the level 1 techs simply -MUST- follow their scripts to the letter. I also long ago put in place a mechanism by which I can quickly plug in a Linux system directly into my DSL or Cable 'modem' (had cable before, have DSL now, at home) so that I don't have to go through the whole rigormarole about how no, I'm -POSITIVE- my Router has nothing at all to do with the problem, and yes, I'm also positive that it has nothing at all to do with my operating system. Seems having a Linux system plugged directly into the 'modem' can sometimes get you fast-tracked, because they have no clue what steps to put you through to verify that there's nothing wrong with it (though I did have one Charter tech once tell me that the mere fact I was running Linux was, indeed, without a doubt, the cause of the latency and packet loss being experienced four-hundred miles away at Charter's gateway in Georgia. *cough*)

Luckily, our current DSL has been fairly reliable, so I really haven't had to call tech support about it. Other than with my parents' system, I never have any situations otherwise that I need to deal with consumer-level tech support, thankfully.

And in closing, on a related note, this is why I am also so happy that we found the ISP we did for our web and game hosting; A smaller regional ISP with a smaller, knowledgable tech department where you can call, talk to someone who knows you (and knows what things you are capable of ruling out yourself), and actually get the issue fixed. It's sooo nice!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I care Maud.

But I don'y like helpdesk people who treat me like a neophyte. So if you're one of those then maybe I don't care but I'll pretend I do.