Create a Beginners Section

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

blckfire
Apprentice Poster

Create a Beginners Section

Post by blckfire »

So, I think the information on how to start a server, scripting guides and general information about the functionalities available are a bit scattered around.

It took me more than a month to find the scripts guide section which I found by luck (since I didn't even noticed it's existence) while searching for information on Events. Events usage should have better visibility, since, by what I read before and have seen in the code of the shard I got, most people just use GetObjProperty and SetObjProperty instead of events because they: lack information and lack programming experience.

Since I'm a somewhat experienced programmer I immediately recognized the importance of using events to handle cprops that need to read/write by several different scripts. This was not in use in the shard I got, when it's the obvious choice of implementation for certain systems.

Going back into the Beginner's Section I think it should be organized as follows:

- Start Here! (Where there is one ore more stickies on how to setup your own server with the current distribution running on it, maybe some links to guide sections/documentation, other posts should be about problems while trying to start a new shard)
- Hello World (A section where new members can say hi to the community and share their projects or reasons to join POL community)
- Scripting/POL Guides (Whoever wants and feels like should be able to write their own Scripting guides, being about scripting technics or more complex stuff on how the core works, important scripting guides should then be gathered in a sticky at the top of this forum).

Overall Organization of the sections should be done. Old cores section should be put at the end since "Officially they are no longer supported".
POL Core/Distro could then be put one after the other, Development Release (099) and then Official POL Distribution (Distro) since they are closely connected. I would then put the Begginer's Section right after Contrivance Section to give it a bigger visibility and help new people find their way more easily.

Just my 2cents on this, hope you all like the suggestions.
Nando
POL Developer

Re: Create a Beginners Section

Post by Nando »

I like your idea. I liked it so much that I just added the section you suggested, and rearranged the boards.

But they now look rather empty... does someone want to start writing guides? :) :whip:
blckfire
Apprentice Poster

Post by blckfire »

I'm really happy you liked my ideas and that I could contribute something to this community. ;)

I had some thoughts about some guides that could come through but, lately I have not found the time to present something decent, I didn't even had time to code for the shard I'm attached to :(... But, I'll make sure to do a contribution to that section soon enough.
earoquette
New User

Post by earoquette »

Hello there,

I just started being part of the POL's community and would really be greatful to have some directs and basic learning of eScript.
Since I'm new, I cannot help, but as long as I get good informations I'll help it!