Keyboards!

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Keyboards!

Post by Yukiko »

Why is it that I can buy a $5 "el cheapo" ASCII/PC keyboard and it will last for five years but if I spend $50 plus on a sturdy backlit Saitek keyboard it starts failing after barely a year of service? It ain't like I type on it 12 hours a day 7 days a week. It's on my home desktop and gets maybe half as much use as an office system. Oddly enough it's not the light source on the keyboard that's dying but the key switches. I get dropped or double strike on some of the keys.

What I wouldn't give to have one of the original IBM keyboards that used to be on IBM XT machines. Now those were KEYBOARDS!!!

So I need some help or advice. I want to buy a reliable, wired backlit keyboard. I want one that won't lose the labeling on the keys as I am a "hunt and peck 'typist'" and there's nothing more frustrating than having "mystery" keys. I'd prefer a keyboard with translucent keys with black lettering engraved on the keys. The Saitek keyboard I currently use has black keys with the letters translucent.

Anyone know of any geed keyboards that match my wants that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
FYI I have looked on Tiger Direct, New Egg and Amazon sites but the reviews from customers on keyboards there are mixed as to quality and reliability.