ISP from Hell.

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

OldnGrey
POL Expert

ISP from Hell.

Post by OldnGrey »

Okay, rant time.

Never EVER EVER EVER even think about hosting a shard on a certain brand X ISP.

They are simply the most unreliable isp I have ever had the misfortune to observe in operation, or in this case, partial operation. If not simply down and dead for a week, they are so liable to drop connection for 30 minutes at a time most days that players simply don't bother to complain any more. Their lag goes from brilliant to totally useless and routers with such congestion that 80% packet loss is considered good on some days, and still their web pages serenely claim everything is on the green. All of this congestion is INSIDE their own network too.

Call their technical support and you can get everything imaginable replaced eventually, but somehow it still doesn't fix the problem. A rare atypical location? No, I've seen this with 3 diverse locations and all had problems.

I could go on, but I feel better now. There might be a worse ISP in the first, second, third world or anywhere else in the galaxy for that matter, but I doubt it. This ISP is one of the biggest in the USA. I won't name them even though I have edited out most of the defamatory invective from this post.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Sounds like Charter or Comcast, hehe
Zoram
New User

Post by Zoram »

Aye MuadDib it does sound like Charter or Comcast! Although I'm stuck with the latter :(
But then again, I'm not actually hosting a server on Comcast's network, that's against the ToS! ;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I used to sing the praises of that "fast bird" ISP when I lived in California.
But THEN I moved to Texas!!!

I still have Wile E. Coyote's nemesis as my ISP but their level of service in Texas is horrible compared to California.

I could go on and on but my experience is similar but not quite as bad as OnG's with his "mystery ISP".
dkpat
Apprentice Poster

Post by dkpat »

*smiles* I too have that "fast bird" I have little to no problems with it though. Kentucky must be pretty good off. :)