POL097 Gina

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

kwandobe

POL097 Gina

Post by kwandobe »

Arg. Core Gina was supposed to bring such promise, instead it has brought me pains in places I didn't even know existed! My question, is why didn't the core developers write the new core so that it could make use of the 096 scripts without us having to rewrite each and everyone of them?

Wait a tick. If they would have, we would have still had to implement new code into the old code to make use of the new features. I guess what I am trying to say overall, is that I just wish we could use the new core without having the headaches of implementing the 096 scripts and modifying them.

Hmm, and one more question, anyone know where to download 096 full compiled? I'm thinking it never existed. :evil:
Barbeirosa

Post by Barbeirosa »

So in other words, you want a new core with brand new features, but you don't want to have to do any work at all to GET those features?
tekproxy
Forum Regular

Post by tekproxy »

The difficulty in changing a distro to work with a new core is dependant mostly on how well the distro is coded and how current it is. Upgrading from 095 to 096 is not that difficult. 092 to 097 might take some time.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

*coughs*

I would not go so far as to say upgrading to 0.96 from 0.95 "isn't that hard" but I do agree that it's easier to do than 0.92 to 0.96.

My beef is that we should have had a complete working Distro for 0.96 before the work on 0.97 started. And Kwandobe, you are right. There never was a complete working Distro for 0.96. If we want newbie scripters to use POL they need a starting place. The Distro provides that. I learned from 0.92 Distro so I know. If POL 0.92 Distro had been in the shape that 0.96 Distro was when it was abandoned I'd be scripting in Sphere or Wolfpack. Though I have experience with programming I'd have abandoned POL for an emu with a working set of scripts. The least that could have been done was to convert 0.95 Distro to 0.96, call that the "0.96 Distro" and then do the major overhaul that was started with 0.96 and release that "new and improved" Distro with POL 0.97.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, I want to leave this post on a positive note:

I want to exprees my sincere appreciation to all the developers, scripters and miscellaneous people involved in bringing POL to me. I know it's all volunteer work. I know it's done for the love of the game and I KNOW how threads like this can make one feel unappreciated. So though I may express my ideas, and all of them are good ones by the way *grins*, I am still glad you guys are putting in the effort you are.
MontuZ
Forum Regular

Post by MontuZ »

With that said... I could and should just convert the 095 distro over to 096 and make it an unofficial 096 distro release. I haven't done shit in a while, I need to get something done to redeem myself. Tek, don't go and do it ahead of me either, lol.

Yuk makes a good point. But here's one true point. 096 just makes a conversion easier from 095, to 096, and finally to 097. Because after you're done converting to 096 from 095, you can take a break for a little while, recoup, and convert to 097 without any true hassle. That's just IMO, of course.

If I feel up to it I'll start converting the 095 distro to 096. We'll see how I feel when I wake up.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Trust me, the lack of a 096 Distro is a shame, and should be resolved sometime. Thing is, if we stop 097 distro to do that, 097 will have no complete distro also. I am helping on it as I can also, to help see to it we can complete a distro before 097 is final. :/
kwandobe

Post by kwandobe »

I got core Gina running, took me 15 minutes to figure out the basics she needed before she could run. If any of you in the dev group have any ideas for where I can start scripting, that would be great. I don't want to script something somebody else probably has done.

Otherwise, I'll probably start with teleporters, dung tele, sysgates, combat, etc. I got nothing better to do... time to script.
MontuZ
Forum Regular

Post by MontuZ »

I hate Gina, reminds me of my ex.

Muad you ape.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Mwuahahahahaha