The new website

Need to discuss something being done all wrong? Explain it!
Also home of flame-fest-fridays.

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

The new website

Post by Yukiko »

OK.

I really liked the old one. The main page with the forums on an entirely seperate page.

This looks too much like PHP Nuke or ASP Nuke.

It's too "busy".

Please go back to what it was.

Ofcourse it won't make any difference but I have said it.

There. I think that's my first "rant". If you can call it that.
Danielle
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Danielle »

Don't judge yet.. i'm sure they are still tweaking it and customizing the portal software.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I don't like "portal pages".

That's the point.

My website has links to the side in a frameset and it's almost too busy for me. Maybe I am ADHD or get overwhelmed with too much on the screen.

I like things simple.

Anyway, if I can find the donation link in that mess I'll still make my donation.
Bytehawk
Apprentice Poster

Post by Bytehawk »

It's become faaaast! :D
I'd donate two, if you find a safe way to transfer money across the globe.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

We will fine tune it.. see if the MX portal is worth it or if something else is better. I personally also preferred the original front page (and matching for all other pages except the forum) that Melanius did because it was very pretty, simple and easy.

For webhosting donations, this post http://forums.polserver.com/viewtopic.php?t=1006 has two options on how people want to donate. One goes to reimbursing me for the initial investment, and the other goes towards future (from 10-2007 and on) hosting bills.

Its a good chance for people asking for all t hose 097 features as well as the ones who got their requests to show how much the project is truly worth to them. There will be something like this post on the main POL page when it is more setup and we decide on the MX or old style page system.

The website will get some nifty things later though like a page where people can list their POL shard websites, and a better front end to get core releases.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

*grins*

Hmmm... maybe I can get those features I like implemented now.

*counts out the amount of money to donate*
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

What you saw on the front was the "base" bullshit install. We plan to make it stupidly simple to keep it basic, straight to the point, like before. Links to the other stuff, and that's pretty much it.

Well, and of course the basic static info. Nothing that "auto updates" and all that jazz. Those pages may exist, but, not on the main site. "forums.polserver.com" is totally seperate from the "www.polserver.com" actually. That's just something that accesses the forum database is all. From there I'd hope to have an actual news page (seperate from main page), with just the basic donation, main links, etc like before. It can be any format we want, since it's Theme based too like the forums. Just give us time to set it up how we like, and see what ppl think then :)
Madman
POL Developer

Post by Madman »

Yeah, we were in something of a hurry to get something back up and online, so check back in a while to see what it looks like when we get bored tweaking it. And by "we", I mean Austin. And by "get bored", I mean "get too drunk to."
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

OK.

I apologioze then.

Stupidly simple is about my speed anyway. Just look at my scripts if you need any more proof.

I like it now. Very "unflashy".

*smiles*
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Yukiko wrote:OK.

I apologioze then.

Stupidly simple is about my speed anyway. Just look at my scripts if you need any more proof.

I like it now. Very "unflashy".

*smiles*
In time all of the website will match the current look and evolved versions of it. The style sheet and general template that makes up the look of http://www.polserver.com, http://releases.polserver.com, and http://poldistro.dyndns.org:5000, was made by Panos aka Melanius; im makin sure he gets a little credit for the look. :-)

The docs and some other stuff will soon match as well.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Austin is working hard on the distro matching the templates and colors, www, releases, and docs. I worked out the forums finally, and the packets. Finally we got it all coming together. Website, distro, core, and much more :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I certainly do like the new look for the serverstats etc. style.

I will be incorporating that into my server.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Aye, he's done a lot of good work on the stuff. He's the one that pushed to the new style for the different sites and all, and I have to agree with him. We got 2 styles, his and mine, and it just so happens they match in colors and all. Easy on the eyes too :)