Specs for a dedicated server

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

Daviex
Neophyte Poster

Specs for a dedicated server

Post by Daviex »

Hello.

I want to get a dedicated server to host my shard, but I've no idea what could be better at current time about specs.

Have you any advice about specs machine needs? And also, what you advice between Linux and Windows to host the server?

Thanks!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Specs for a dedicated server

Post by Yukiko »

One thing to consider along with the server specifications is your Internet connection speed and reliability.. Ultima is still pretty good about limiting bandwidth usage but still, obviously, the faster and more reliable the connection the better.

As for system specifications, due to lack of money, I have been running a server on an older Pentium 4 2.8 gigahertz Dell with 4 Gigabytes of RAM on Windows 7 64 bit but I have not had more than 18 accounts logged in at one time. I would recommend something better than that once you have a larger player base.

I would say a core i5 with 8 Gigabytes of RAM should be fine. You could spend more money if you have it but that should serve you well. If you are just settling up a server and don't have a lot of money right now you can start out with a cheaper system and upgrade as your players increase.
Daviex
Neophyte Poster

Post by Daviex »

Yukiko wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am One thing to consider along with the server specifications is your Internet connection speed and reliability.. Ultima is still pretty good about limiting bandwidth usage but still, obviously, the faster and more reliable the connection the better.

As for system specifications, due to lack of money, I have been running a server on an older Pentium 4 2.8 gigahertz Dell with 4 Gigabytes of RAM on Windows 7 64 bit but I have not had more than 18 accounts logged in at one time. I would recommend something better than that once you have a larger player base.

I would say a core i5 with 8 Gigabytes of RAM should be fine. You could spend more money if you have it but that should serve you well. If you are just settling up a server and don't have a lot of money right now you can start out with a cheaper system and upgrade as your players increase.
Mmmh ok, as I thought specs are not so excessive at least...

Can you tell me something about OS? Did you tried POL over Linux?
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

Hallo Daviex,

Could you give us a little bit more information about your server? How many players do you have, what distro are u using, what core version and the size of your data folder?

Yes you can run it on Linux and I would suggest you to do it because linux hosts are always cheaper than windows.

I have seen people successful running a POL server on google clouds and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
In the old days back in 2001-2006 ppl hosted it on Pentium 3/4 with just 2 gb ram. Nowadays with dual core and DDR3 you get a lot more performance.

To save money you could start with a VPS instead of getting a dedicated server and run it on Linux via SSH (ssh putty client)

You could try:
VPS
Linux
Dual Core
4 GB Ram
10 GB bandwidth transfer (I dont have any real information about it because Im not hosting a server atm but some devs told me they need about 1 GB with 100 players per month. Normally you get unlimited bandwidth or 1TB what should be more than enough.

You can always upgrade it if need but why get 8 GB ram if you may never use more than 4 GB.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I have not used POL on Linux.

Perhaps I did not understand your original question. I thought you were hosting POL on your own machine or wanted to do that. If you are looking for a paid hosting service then Pumpkins is right about Linux hosting being cheaper than Windows. If you are hosting it yourself there is another advantage to Linux over Windows. Linux will not automatically update as Windows does now. So your server will not suddenly reboot when it needs an update. Microsoft has configured Windows to do that by default with Windows 10.
Daviex
Neophyte Poster

Post by Daviex »

First of all, I want to say I'm sorry if I didn't made my idea clear xD
Anyway, I want to buy a server over something external like OVH or sites like this.
Pumpkins wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am Hallo Daviex,

Could you give us a little bit more information about your server? How many players do you have, what distro are u using, what core version and the size of your data folder?

Yes you can run it on Linux and I would suggest you to do it because linux hosts are always cheaper than windows.

I have seen people successful running a POL server on google clouds and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
In the old days back in 2001-2006 ppl hosted it on Pentium 3/4 with just 2 gb ram. Nowadays with dual core and DDR3 you get a lot more performance.

To save money you could start with a VPS instead of getting a dedicated server and run it on Linux via SSH (ssh putty client)

You could try:
VPS
Linux
Dual Core
4 GB Ram
10 GB bandwidth transfer (I dont have any real information about it because Im not hosting a server atm but some devs told me they need about 1 GB with 100 players per month. Normally you get unlimited bandwidth or 1TB what should be more than enough.

You can always upgrade it if need but why get 8 GB ram if you may never use more than 4 GB.
Our server have a complete customized distro, are really few the original script from the POL Distro.
I thought to go with a simple Linux server at beginning and try, if at least it is not good enough, I can still update later.

I thought about a VPS, but wouldn't be more harder to check it out about the console and all the logs?

Anyway, thanks for the specs, I thought correctly about it. If 20 years ago already they could run it over a pentium with alot of player, a today specs would be alot much better with something really basic!
Yukiko wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am I have not used POL on Linux.

Perhaps I did not understand your original question. I thought you were hosting POL on your own machine or wanted to do that. If you are looking for a paid hosting service then Pumpkins is right about Linux hosting being cheaper than Windows. If you are hosting it yourself there is another advantage to Linux over Windows. Linux will not automatically update as Windows does now. So your server will not suddenly reboot when it needs an update. Microsoft has configured Windows to do that by default with Windows 10.
Nono, I won't going to host over my machine if not just to test things for staff only or my scripts.
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

My first VPS was on OVH and they are rly rly good! super support.
You can see your ram, cpu and bandwidth usage in the control panel and if you dont know how to config your firewall (IPtables) you can just do it over the control panel.

If you know how to use MSdos/ssh you will have no problems running your server on a VPS-Linux-SSH setup.
All information you need you can see on the log files and you can run the ssh console and see your POL console like you do on windows.

You can send, move and see your files via fps using FileZilla.