DLL error

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

DLL error

Post by ThisIsMe »

So, long story short, been away from doing anything with pol for like 10 years, figured I would jump back in and dink about with what meager knowledge I knew at the time and have since forgotten (it was not much to be sure). A curious issue has arisen on my computer, when I try to launch pol or compile a script I am given a Windows error saying it cannot find vcomp120.dll.

I went on a search for this file and found it was sitting in the system32 folder so it is clearly on my system, now at this point since it clearly was not being seen, I did some research into how to fix it. The first thing I did which was one of the "solutions" was to install the c++ 2013 distribution stuff from Microsoft, this did not work. Next, using Command Prompt, I tried installing the dll, again, this did not work and kicked me an error in a separate window. So finally at the end of my tether, I figured I would download the dll from another source and again I attempted to launch pol/compile something with the same error before installing it through Command Prompt and after installing it.

I receive the exact same error pictured below when I try to do either of these things mentioned above.

Running Windows 10 64-bit
Using the alternate distro release
can provide any other pertinent information if needed, just not sure what exactly would be needed other than my operating system.

Any ideas for fixing this would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
error when compiling a script or launching pol
error when compiling a script or launching pol
vcompdllerror.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
Nando
POL Developer

Re: DLL error

Post by Nando »

(Sorry for the delay in approving the topic)

The only solution I know for this error is to install the VC 2013 redistributables. Did you install the 64 or the 32 bit version? I'd try uninstalling the 2013 redistributable and then installing it again. You shouldn't need to download DLLs from anywhere else.

Just to be sure, here is the download link from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784 (get the vcredist_64.exe)

Let me know if that still doesn't help.
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

I'll give this a go when I get home, I installed both versions with the same issue before but maybe a miracle will occur.

I'll let you know how it goes, the oddity is that it runs fine on my laptop but I prefer to dink around on stuff like this on my desktop where it doesn't work.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Weird. But the installer may have missed something. Let me know how it goes...
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'm going to pop-in on this topic because I have been working with ThisIsMe trying to resolve this problem. Knowing that Windows searches first in the directory of the program that requires the DLL we even tried copying the DLL into the POL directory with no success. I'm running the same OS, both version and bitwise(64 bit) as ThisIsMe and I haven't had this issue. I'm beginning to think a reinstall of the OS might be in order. I haven't heard yet if uninstalling and reinstalling the redistributable worked.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

When googling for this error, there are reports of people fixing the problem by reinstalling the redistributables. But you really have to remove the redist completely.

I wonder why not even placing the DLL in the same folder fixes it... is there a version mismatch? 32 vs 64-bit?
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

Same error.

I uninstalled the old version of it, restarted and reinstalled the x64 version of it, then restarted again just to make sure and tried to compile something and received the same error, I guess I need to reinstall windows...uggh... Anyone want to do that for me? :x
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Odd. But before reinstalling the OS, I would try installing also the 32-bit redistributables. If even that doesn't work, a last attempt could be to install VS 2013 Community (and eventually compiling POL from the source, just to be sure something didn't go wrong with the binary - there is a step-by-step guide on GitHub).
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

Just reinstalled Windows earlier today, another pointless endeavour. I will download a fresh copy of pol and try and see what's what and then if that does not work I will take on your suggestion of:
Nando wrote:install VS 2013 Community (and eventually compiling POL from the source, just to be sure something didn't go wrong with the binary - there is a step-by-step guide on GitHub).
In the end if even that does not do it, I've got a Winchester 7mm rem mag to deal with this system. :deadhorse:
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

ThisIsMe, you can always use my Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun. I've got some double ought buck magnum load shells that would make quick work of the system.

This is a real frustrating issue because we both are running Windows 10 on our desktops and laptops. My desktop doesn't exhibit this problem and neither do our laptops. In fact ThisIsMe's desktop is my old computer which never exhibited this problem when I was using it though I might not have had Windows 10 on it then.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

* Hoping you don't plan to use those on the devs :D *

Did you try installing the 32-bit redistributables too? I'm wondering if the binaries you have were compiled for 32 bits for some reason...