Connecting with a *special* & *really old* client.

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

crb
New User

Connecting with a *special* & *really old* client.

Post by crb »

Hey folks,

I have an odd request if someone can help me, I found that there was an old native client for UO that works with Linux. It still runs fine and can be loaded up, but obviously cannot connect since it is from and uses data from the Renn client. Its locked at 1.24.1 as the version. Is there any way to get the POL server to accept its connection?

If you want the files directly you need to download it from ftp://ftp.mayn.de/pub/really_old_stuff/unix/games/uo , specifically 'client-glibc2.1.i386', you'll have to rename a few files to their older versions but they're compatible. I have it running on Fedora 22 - however you'll have to use something like Xephyr because it wants a 15 or 16bit X.
Nando
POL Developer

Re: Connecting with a *special* & *really old* client.

Post by Nando »

Wow! That is indeed old. What does POL do when you try to connect?
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

Atleast you will have to remove the encryption from that client, Pol only supports back to 1.25.x encryptions
Otherwise no idea really whats going on with that client without testing because its from the time before any expansion.

Do you get anything showing up on pol console trying to connect with that client ?
crb
New User

Post by crb »

Nando wrote:Wow! That is indeed old. What does POL do when you try to connect?
It connects and immediately disconnects from the server, the client giving the error that the account hasn't been activated.
Tomi wrote:Atleast you will have to remove the encryption from that client, Pol only supports back to 1.25.x encryptions
Otherwise no idea really whats going on with that client without testing because its from the time before any expansion.

Do you get anything showing up on pol console trying to connect with that client ?
I actually misquoted - it is 1.26.1, which is why I tried POL since it supports 1.26.4 in the config and I was hoping it'd be the same. I am not sure how to go about removing the encryption from the client, I've never been good at Hexediting. I am assuming it is very similar to the Windows client of the time since the filesize and hexediting looks very similar overall.

I tried working with ServUO and set the encryption stream to 1.26.1 with vCrypt and was able to get as far as the server select. But I am not an expert on this, and it gave an encryption error and I couldn't get beyond that.

It looks like I'll have to figure out how to remove the encryption, but my cursory searches haven't shown what is modified in the client to do so.
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

What version of Pol are you using ? Because 099 supports that 1.26.1 encryption
crb
New User

Post by crb »

Tomi wrote:What version of Pol are you using ? Because 099 supports that 1.26.1 encryption
I tried with POL097 and POL099 and get the same issue. It just connects and disconnects, though on POL099 it happens on 'Verifying Account' instead of not having proper credentials. I probably have something hooked up wrong.

Here is the log for the Linux client, though its more interesting than useful.

http://pastebin.com/raw/jkB2X7dL

And for the server this is what I get, obviously there is an encryption issue.

Code: Select all

Client connected from 192.168.2.210 (1 connections)
Undefined message type f8
Unexpected message type f8, 62 bytes (IP:192.168.2.210, Account:None)
0000: f8 56 74 6e 63 60 0c 0d  0d 8d cd 6d bd d5 e1 fb   .Vtnc`.. ...m....
0010: f6 f0 73 b2 d2 e2 7a 36  10 03 0a 8e cc ed fd 14   ..s...z6 ........
0020: d5 be 0b d4 d6 60 3b 16  80 cb 6e bc 55 a1 db e6   .....`;. ..n.U...
0030: 78 37 10 03 0a 0e 0c 0d  0d 8d cd 6d bd 88         x7...... ...m....
Again this is "1.26.1 Test_01."

Any suggestions?
bodom
Former Developer

Post by bodom »

If i can remember it correctly, client < 2.0.0 uses blowfish encryption.

The code that choses the keys is here:
https://github.com/polserver/polserver/ ... yptkey.cpp

My 2c
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

What encryption settings are you using in pol.cfg or uoclient.cfg
You probably dont get that client working with 097 due to missing encryption support but in 099 you get with setting 1.26.1
The error you get is because packet 0x80 is encrypted and there for pol reads it as 0xF8 what it should not be
crb
New User

Post by crb »

Tomi wrote:What encryption settings are you using in pol.cfg or uoclient.cfg
You probably dont get that client working with 097 due to missing encryption support but in 099 you get with setting 1.26.1
The error you get is because packet 0x80 is encrypted and there for pol reads it as 0xF8 what it should not be
Changing the option in uoclient.cfg allowed me to login, sadly it segfaults and crashes after hitting the server screen and going to character select. Not sure there is much I can do about that.

EDIT: Got it working!

However I hacked together getting POL099 working, deleting any errors that it gave to load up the game. Can you give any exact instructions as to how to get the server working? Namely what version of client to use for installing. I've been using a windows machine for prebuilt binaries and such.
bodom
Former Developer

Post by bodom »

Great! Congrats!

Linux compile instructions are on the github homepage, but if you don't want to spend time compiling sources you can wait for next beta release that should be out soon.
crb
New User

Post by crb »

bodom wrote:Great! Congrats!

Linux compile instructions are on the github homepage, but if you don't want to spend time compiling sources you can wait for next beta release that should be out soon.
Hmm, I might do that. Though I'll still fiddle with it, I don't use Windows a lot so its difficult to get things working when theres issues. Especially when I probably don't need to enable a lot of the features since the client is so old.