A good zuluhotel server

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

Adre
New User

A good zuluhotel server

Post by Adre »

There is some one letft? Something like the Australia server with a lot of people,macroing yes, multipleaccounts
bodom
Former Developer

Re: A good zuluhotel server

Post by bodom »

Hi!

We are running an almost untouched flavor of ZuluHotel 2001, but updated to the latest POL and with many bugs fixed.

If you are interested, PM me for any info or to get an account ;)

Website is:
http://www.zuluhoteltimewarp.com/en/

:grouphug:
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

We're alive and running :) A lot has changed in these years though
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

I'm still reading!
Harley
Forum Regular

Post by Harley »

Welcome! Zulu Hotel Europe - the best traditions with modern & creative view!
http://zuluhotel.net.ua
Adre
New User

Post by Adre »

Harley wrote:Welcome! Zulu Hotel Europe - the best traditions with modern & creative view!
http://zuluhotel.net.ua
Is russian! I DONT comprend no thing the translation is hall bugged and Aldo the registration. Sigh
Where are gone the player of zha?
Toadstool
New User

Post by Toadstool »

Adre wrote:Sigh
Where are gone the player of zha?
Guess you're in luck. Harl, the original head of ZHA has recently brought up another server after over 10 years. Been up since new years or so.

Seems like a few people are playing, had a lot of interest.

Only a facebook page, but all the info is there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UO.ZHA/
Toadstool
New User

Post by Toadstool »

But then you asked for a 'good' server, so maybe give the above a miss :P

However if you want to see how not to run a shard, take a look. Started out with about 150 people expressing interest. However took 2 months to get the shard up with ETA's always a few days away. Scratching my head at how it took so long as it's just the same shard as whats been up since.

It obviously wasn't bug testing as its riddled with the things. Any script changes they actually get off their backsides to make cause multiple other bugs.

They don't believe a forum is necessary...

Saddest part is it had what is rare for a UO shard now, a LOT of players willing to play. However it's hemorrhaging players like crazy due to inactivity/incompetence. Don't bother giving feedback, suggestions as its all dismissed as they are working on 'a new .99 core based shard'. With how long it took to get an existing shard online.... well :P

That said, it's been fun to watch unfold. Funny and sad all rolled into one.
harlz
New User

Post by harlz »

Wow so you get salty for being abusive and abusing bugs and then come flame us on the POL forums to along with discord and facebook?

The shard has daily and im serious daily updates to fix bugs, we are running the exact shitty old scripts that people requested and forced us to get online without waiting for our rebuilt version to be done (which is what we were working on instead and caused the delay). So instead of finishing our new .99 version we've been fixing the massive amounts of bugs and exploits that people like yourself have been abusing on a daily basis.

We have 3 dedicated coders, 3 guys dedicated to ingame world building and running events/helping players, we have a discord and a facebook community and we have never less than 60+ players online peaking close to 100 over the weekends.

Of course ppl will leave after the first month, they just wanted thier nostalgia fix and people like you abusing them and bugs helps them make the decision to leave.

Despite all this the community is growing and we are pushing ahead with a full .99 conversion which is what we wanted to do in the first place, No bug report is dismissed, we run a private git that all bugs are logged into and fixed. We've made somewhere in the order of 200 fixes and changes to the old script base in the last month since we opened and have rebuilt large portions of the world and opened new area's.

If you'd like to check us out please drop by discord at https://discord.gg/0jx9F19SWQSqglm3
Our website/forums will be up this weekend, we've just spent all our time on actual ingame fixes and changes so when we have a site up and start advertising we dont have the large amount of issues we had initially (which the majority of are fixed now)

p.s maybe if you actually tried to help rather than just shit on us/theplayers/bugs and general life you may have a better time.
ZHAplayer
New User

Post by ZHAplayer »

Harl's shard had potential but as you said and it was pretty exciting having 150 AU guys ready to play from day one.... then one week turned into two...then three...next thing we knew it was two months, the 2 month wait and the promise of a release with POL99, then the same old shard being delivered, was disappointing.

The shard started with a half wiped world where people looted a bunch of half decayed houses.

The website has been about 1 month in progress.....I'm eager to see what it's going to look like. Must be a lot of work going into it.

There are 4-5 GM's but you'll only ever get an answer to your page from one of them, although occasionally harl will too. Basic spawns like GY's and most orc forts are bare.

If you like macroing, don't expect any notice on server reboots or any sort of scheduled downtime, they'll randomly reboot at almost midnight WST time.

I think most people are just riding this ride for the last time and watching the shard slowly self destruct. It still has it's fun parts though... but it's definitely not up there with the last one or two rehashes.

EDIT: I'll admit that this is pretty brutally honest, but a lot of this stuff has been brought up already and deleted from the only visible forum we have, the facebook group. TL;DR, as long as you don't paint harl in a bad light or as anything other than the king of zulu australia, your post will generally be able to stay.
harlz
New User

Post by harlz »

The shard was built on the old scripts as that's what players wanted, they wanted the old world file to so that's what they got. We've put hundreds of hours into both the scripts and the world since its opened (by the way its only been online 30 days).

If people had of just waited a little while longer we'd have launched on a new file with .99 right from the start but I was told point blank by you guys it was either then or never so that's what we did.

The website has been deliberately delayed by myself due to the fact i knew there would be issues on startup and I didn't want to go advertising a semi broken shard to the world. As I've said the majority of this has all been rectified now and the site will be up this weekend.

Also just because 150 ppl joined the facebook group never in a million years did it mean all those people would actually play on the shard.

I reboot the shard at night to put fixes in, i give warning in discord which is our support channel for anyone that is listening. Now we have the scripts settled down we'll be going to scheduled reboots.

Its actually hilarious that the ppl posting on here about the shard are the people who are the ones abusing/exploiting the issues. No matter what you think the ppl who are not playing at the moment due to these issues are not playing because of ppl like these guys who used bugs and unfair advantages to get ahead, I know this because they tell me..

This will all change very soon anyway, we are cutting a lot of the features we were going to implement in .99 to get it out. Also ppl like you guys wont be on the shard much longer if you keep going the way you are.

** so if your looking for a good Zulu shard please come drop in and check it out, there is a very healthy population, active staff and community. The two posts you see above are from a small group of people who make it their job to troll the players the shard and the staff.
Bilbo
New User

Post by Bilbo »

harlz wrote:The shard was built on the old scripts as that's what players wanted, they wanted the old world file to so that's what they got. We've put hundreds of hours into both the scripts and the world since its opened (by the way its only been online 30 days).

If people had of just waited a little while longer we'd have launched on a new file with .99 right from the start but I was told point blank by you guys it was either then or never so that's what we did.
I heard you said you were "working" on a Pol099 convert and then at the end you put up some scripts that you were originally handed and when you shared your supposed 099 port it turned out to be a Pol098 port of zulu done by someone else with 0 changes, so the question had to be asked what did you do for those 2 months?
harlz wrote:We have 3 dedicated coders
Who are the coders? As far as i've been told GIB does the majority of the work, Seravy has fixed a bug or two but doesn't want to be tied to any promises to help, Blank who is in the same boat as Seravy and doesn't really want to get onboard with anything you're involved in, and you considering yourself a coder is a joke.
harlz wrote:I reboot the shard at night to put fixes in, i give warning in discord which is our support channel for anyone that is listening. Now we have the scripts settled down we'll be going to scheduled reboots.
So even though pretty much 100% of the player base is on Facebook you still use Discord (containing approx. 20-30% of the player base) to notify the shard about scheduled maintenance. On top of that your notification window usually consists of 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes if we're lucky. Other people have told you multiple times to make a post on facebook at the beginning of the week notifying the players of a scheduled downtime at the end of the week so it gives everyone a chance to see and be prepared for rather then being caught in a dungeon because you decided its time to reboot. Also night is the worst time to do it because thats generally when everyone has their macros setup and have gone off to bed. Real people aren't awake at the crazy stupid hours you are as most people have jobs and a life.
harlz wrote:The website has been deliberately delayed by myself due to the fact i knew there would be issues on startup and I didn't want to go advertising a semi broken shard to the world. As I've said the majority of this has all been rectified now and the site will be up this weekend.
I hope it is up this weekend, but your excuse to delay is false. I'd guess its somewhere more long the lines of you don't know what you're doing and have had to stuff around trying to get it to work rather than handing the reins over to someone who does know what their doing, or you've spent too much time off partying and getting drunk at home alone whilst watching movies(paraphrasing from discord). In reality I'm guessing there will be another comment come the end of today about delays because something came up or you've decided to change course again without ever actually telling anyone what your course is.

FINAL NOTE TO THE POL FORUMS ADMIN/MODS:
harlz wrote:Its actually hilarious that the ppl posting on here about the shard are the people who are the ones abusing/exploiting the issues.
I Don't abuse bugs and am not affiliated with those groups of people. We're here posting about this because the way Harl is running the server and its community is wrong, anytime anything ill is posted about him to facebook or discord it gets deleted. Whilst the server name is Zulu Hotel Australia its run more like Zulu Hotel North Korea.

FINAL NOTE TO HARL:
You're bad at running/managing the shard. You've screwed the player base around for too long and the only reason its dying is you.

FINAL NOTE TO POTENTIAL PLAYERS:
The shard and community (excluding harl) are good. If Harl isn't involved I'd say come join us, on the other hand if Harl is involved there soon won't be an us to join. I'd say check out our website or check out our forums but there aren't any.
harlz
New User

Post by harlz »

I'm sorry you feel that way, all I can do is continue to improve systems and provide everything i can for the community.

No point arguing with you.
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

Not sure why you're wasting time to convert everything to 099 as everything was already done by our team a while ago. Just take a look at the official distro rep, ... Customize it as you want, you'll get faster to the things you want done... Enjoy!