I would like some GitHub Guidance please.

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

I would like some GitHub Guidance please.

Post by Yukiko »

I want to make sure I am following proper Git-etiquette when posting updates to the repo.

This is what I do now:
Once I have added the changes to my local copy of the repo I open my Git client. I select the Distro repo. I am presented with the list of changes I have made. I enter a title and description in the Commit text fields. I click the "Commit" link. I wait until that is finished then I click the "Sync" icon in the upper right corner of the client window and let the client sync the commited changes.

Am I doing it the correct way?
I assume I am since the repo does get updated.
RusseL
Forum Regular

Re: I would like some GitHub Guidance please.

Post by RusseL »

Not so easy to say, because noone knows what happens when you click at "Sync".
Git is a console tool, and your GUI (git client) is just a "3rd party application".

First and best way to make sure that everything is fine is to check the your git history/log, there you can see if your remote and local are in the same state.

For example:
git log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

I assume you're using "GitHub for Windows" or something similar. If so, then commit + sync is the right thing to do. You can also make many small commits and a single sync in the end.

Might be worth learning about git commands on the console too, like RusseL suggested. Because the console is the native environment for git, sometimes the GUI fails for weird reasons and you're forced to use git commands to fix it anyway. So better be prepared for that. :P
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

RusseL wrote:Not so easy to say, because noone knows what happens when you click at "Sync".
Git is a console tool, and your GUI (git client) is just a "3rd party application".

First and best way to make sure that everything is fine is to check the your git history/log, there you can see if your remote and local are in the same state.

For example:
git log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all
Yeah. I know. *sighs*
You'd think I'd be a command line junkie since I started in the pre-GUI days.
Nando. wrote:I assume you're using "GitHub for Windows" or something similar. If so, then commit + sync is the right thing to do. You can also make many small commits and a single sync in the end.

Might be worth learning about git commands on the console too, like RusseL suggested. Because the console is the native environment for git, sometimes the GUI fails for weird reasons and you're forced to use git commands to fix it anyway. So better be prepared for that. :P
Yep. I am using 'GitHub for Windows'. I intend to learn GitHub commands.

Thanks guys for the help.