<< POL Guide - Getting Started >> by Edwards

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

*Edwards
Forum Regular

<< POL Guide - Getting Started >> by Edwards

Post by *Edwards »

This is a short description for getting started with POL the very first time. You'll soon learn how easy it is to customize it as you want, as I did. Before all, sorry for spelling mistakes. You must understand that english is not my first language.

Let's get started now.

The requirments:

It's simple. You have your ideas, your plans. You are all ready with a new forum and/or website. You've got the people ready to help you ( or not ). Obviously, you got a decent computer to run POL and you want to learn. Now you need alcool. So go get the alcool and come back here.

Ok now? Start drinking.

Definitions:
POL: Penultima Online
POL Core: a set of “bare bones” scripts that provide the minimum files needed to start POL, login, walk around, and talk.
POL Distro: a complete set of scripts that emphasize the basics of game play, but are designed to allow you to easily modify or expand their functionalities.
EScript: scripting language made for POL simple enough to allow those with no previous programming experience to learn how to customize their world and yet powerful enough to accomplish complex tasks.
Docs: up-to-date informations of POL functionnalities. Learn how to use it, it's important if you want to learn. Click Here
Server Project: complete worlds scripts for an entire shard similar to a Distro. Click Here

Download:
Download the latest core release and it's associated set of Distro scripts: Click here.

Note: I'd suggest to get the "Distro 097 Complete - Windows" for Windows users.

You must unzip the files somewhere on your hard disk.
ex.: C:/Distro/

Prepare the Server:

So all files were extracted in C:/Distro/ now you must prepare your server...

Note: every extensions *.cfg, *.src, *.em, *.inc can be viewed with a simple text editor like Wordpad.

Open pol.cfg

Make sure "UoDataFileRoot" gives the emplacement of your UO files.

ex.:

Code: Select all

UoDataFileRoot=C:/Programs/UltimaOnline/
When you made it, close pol.cfg and double click StartHere.bat. A menu will prompt.

In the menu select the option "a - RealmGen menu".
In the new menu select the option "d = Build all config files". Note: it shouldn't take so long before the files are created
In the menu select the option "j - Build all realms" Note: it really takes a VERY LONG time!

Get a new bottle of alcool. You deserve it now! 50% done! And you might get the time to drink it all before the process ends.

When it's finish, the server's files are ready. Good job!

Compilling the scripts:

Re-Open StartHere.exe and select the option "b - Ecompiler menu",
Select the option "d - Compile all scripts". Note: It may take a while ... again.

Connecting:

Open C:/Distro/config/servers.cfg

Do you want your server local, Lan or Wan? Informations are given in the file.

Edit your login.cfg to match up with your IP and Port given in servers.cfg

For exemple if you want it local host only
servers.cfg:

GameServer POL-LOCAL
{
	Name	POL-LocalHost
	IP	127.0.0.1
	Port	5003
}
login.cfg

LoginSever=127.0.0.1,5003
You deserve another bottle of alcool, you graduated! Congrats! Just double click pol.exe and let the server loads. Default admin account is:

Username: Admin
Password: admin
You are officially connected to POL!

I don't know any other way to lead but by example.

Goodluck brave travaler!
Dwelle
New User

Re: << POL Guide - Getting Started >> by Edwards

Post by Dwelle »

Please note there's a typo in the original post:

LoginSever=127.0.0.1,5003
should be:

LoginServer=127.0.0.1,5003
It gave me some serious headache since I copied/pasted the line :)
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

You should really expand this guide with detailed step by step instructions and post it on the website!
It's almost 2013, but more people fiddling with POL means more people in the community, and I think the best way to have them fiddle with POL is to give them a simple guide to get involved ;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

There is an error in the definitions as well.
POL Core: a set of “bare bones” scripts that provide the minimum files needed to start POL, login, walk around, and talk.
This is incorrect.

POL Core is the virtual machine that executes the compiled scripts; the x86 executable file pol.exe.

Edwards confused the POL Core with the Basic Files listed on the downloads page.
xeon wrote:You should really expand this guide with detailed step by step instructions and post it on the website!
It's almost 2013, but more people fiddling with POL means more people in the community, and I think the best way to have them fiddle with POL is to give them a simple guide to get involved
I agree with you Xeon. Also, there is a guide in the POL Distro available on the SVN. It appears to be a copy of Kirin's post with modifications to update it for the 0.99 Distro by Edwards. I assume since Edwards updated it for the current Distro it is accurate but I haven't actually read through ti and set-up a server using the instructions.
Noxron
New User

Post by Noxron »

Compilling the scripts:
Re-Open StartHere.exe and select the option "b - Ecompiler menu",
Select the option "d - Compile all scripts". Note: It may take a while ... again
Everything is ok. I did everything what did u say. but only this part I couldn't do it because in my folder, I don't have StartHere.exe. I have only StartHere.bat and in this I found option of B - Ecompiler menu then D - Copile all scripts but when I'm pressing D - Compile all script it say's;
Escript Compiler v1.12
Copyright 1993-2009 Eric. N. Swanson

Compilation complete.

and that's all. You told us about the note. ''Note: It may take a while ... again'' I didnt wait for it because that button is not working.

Can you help me please thanks a lot.
Note: I'm not english so I'm sorry about it only I tried for explain it.
Attachments
uo.jpg
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

The file you want to use is starthere.bat.

However, I don't like using the batch file to compile my scripts. The reason for this is it doesn't show any errors during the compile process. I prefer opening a command prompt in the \pol\scripts directory and using the command line for eCompile.

Assuming your server is saved in C:\pol use the following procedure to compile the scripts:
Open a command prompt and navigate to C:\pol\scripts and type the following command: ecompile C:\POL99\ -a -A -r -f

Also, make sure you have setup ecompile.cfg properly as well.

Now any errors should show-up in the window. Then you can post the error and we can help you better.
Noxron
New User

Post by Noxron »

uo2.jpg
uo2.jpg
Yukiko wrote:The file you want to use is starthere.bat.

However, I don't like using the batch file to compile my scripts. The reason for this is it doesn't show any errors during the compile process. I prefer opening a command prompt in the \pol\scripts directory and using the command line for eCompile.

Assuming your server is saved in C:\pol use the following procedure to compile the scripts:
Open a command prompt and navigate to C:\pol\scripts and type the following command: ecompile C:\POL99\ -a -A -r -f

Also, make sure you have setup ecompile.cfg properly as well.

Now any errors should show-up in the window. Then you can post the error and we can help you better.
Thank you so much, It says; could not find c:\pol\scripts\ecompile.cfg; using default.

Where can I get ecompile.cfg I have in scripts this ecompile.cfg.example and ecompile.exe.

Also if I change the name of ecompile.cfg.example to ecompile.cfg it doesn't say anything.
Attachments
uo.jpg
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Sorry.The command should be: ecompile C:\pol\ -a -A -r -f

I have my server saved in C:\POL99 instead of C:\pol

My apologies for the error. If you have setup ecompile.cfg correctly and your POL folder is C:\pol then the command should start compiling your scripts. If you have POL in a different directory then just change "pol" to the name of the directory where your POL server is located and then try that command.
Noxron
New User

Post by Noxron »

Yukiko wrote:Sorry.The command should be: ecompile C:\pol\ -a -A -r -f

I have my server saved in C:\POL99 instead of C:\pol

My apologies for the error. If you have setup ecompile.cfg correctly and your POL folder is C:\pol then the command should start compiling your scripts. If you have POL in a different directory then just change "pol" to the name of the directory where your POL server is located and then try that command.
It's ok no problem. For me important think you tried for help me thank you so much.

I tried again for make server but I couldn't do anything it says same situation.

Also I tried on StartHere.bat, 1. B - Ecompiler Menu than I tried, A - Compile a Specific script. but again it said error.

I've one more problem that one is when I tried for open pol.exe it doesn't open.
Attachments
error.jpg
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

What folder is POL in? Also, what does your ecompile.cfg have in it? Did you try opening a command prompt and doing

cd C:\pol\scripts                                   <--- Assuming POL is at C:\POL
ecompile
Noxron
New User

Post by Noxron »

CWO wrote:What folder is POL in? Also, what does your ecompile.cfg have in it? Did you try opening a command prompt and doing

cd C:\pol\scripts                                   <--- Assuming POL is at C:\POL
ecompile
I will try for showing what I have in my Pol folder.

I got picture of;

1- in Pol Folder what I have.
2- in Pol\scripts what I have.
3- in ecompile.cfg what I have.

Thank u so much for helping me.
Attachments
POL-Scripts-ecompile.png
POL-scripts.png
POL.png
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

It looks like you just need to edit ecompile.cfg because it appears that you have POL located in c:\pol but your ecompile.cfg file is looking for POL in c:\cvsdistro\pol. You need to edit the first 5 lines in ecompile.cfg to point to the location you have POL installed. So for example, if you do have POL installed in c:\pol then the first line in ecompile.cfg should be:

ModuleDirectory C:\pol\scripts\modules
Edit the other lines accordingly replacing c:\cvsdistro\pol with c:\pol.

Then try using the ecompile command again.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Thats exactly why I asked. I figured ecompile.cfg was pointing to the wrong folders.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yeppers. I forgot mention to him to edit his ecompile.cfg file in my earlier post. After doing this for so many years it's easy to forget all the niggling little things that need to be done just to compile scripts. Thanks CWO for your help.
Noxron
New User

Post by Noxron »

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHİNG. BUT I COULDN'T DO, I TRIED MAYBE 10 DAYS BUT I HAVE KNOW ONLY SPHERE AND RUN UO :( SEE U SOON HAVE A NICE WORK ON POL UO.