.EM FILES

Here you can post threads requesting help on the official POL Ultima Online Emulator Core 097.
Note: Core 097 is no longer officially supported.

Moderator: POL Developer

Austin
Former Developer

.EM FILES

Post by Austin »

Okay so POL 097 is moving fast... really fast.

-outdated-
Last edited by Austin on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Firedancer
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Firedancer »

stop scaring me hehe, or with all my uoconvert trouble I slowly begin to wonder if I shouldn't wait with my upgrade for 097 in the first place ;)
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

For a change POL development is going too fast for me.

I am only just at the point of cutting my shard over to 096.
I've been working through replacing all the MoveItemToLocation and MoveCharacterToLocation functions and haven't even started on saving realm parameters in golocs, runebooks, moongates and the 100 other places where it matters. I had no idea how time consuming it all was, let alone adding all the realm parameters to the scripts.

One comment. In 096 functions sometimes you put the realm parameter at the end and sometimes it's the second last parameter. Was there a logic to where the realm parameter was put in the function? eg using MoveObjectToLocation the realm is right BEFORE the movemode.
Marilla

Post by Marilla »

I think they put the REALM parameter on the end when it was added as an 'optional' parameter to existing functions. This way, current use could still work as-is, without using additional realms, while to move to supporting realms, people just had to add the realm parameter to the functions (yes; easier said than done, but at least it doesn't require changing function signatures, beyond adding)

The functions with the realm in the 'middle', then, are pretty much all completely new functions, as I recall (though I've been wrong before! ;))

I have to say I think I *might* have preferred they implement the 096 functions in a more consistent way, even if it made upgrading function calls more difficult. I say *might*, because it's easy for me to say that, since they didn't do it that way. hehe... had they done it that way, I might be singing a different tune, now! But by tacking the REALM parameter onto the end, it now requires that previously existing optional parameters must now be specified, and sometimes that's just a little bit of a pain. Not a biggie, but... ehhh!
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Yeah ... the MoveObjectToLocation() function killed off the need for: MoveItemToLocation, MoveCharacterToLocation(), MoveBoatXY() and MoveObjectToRealm()

Unlike all the other functions though, it puts it after the XY coordinates rather than the end (because you kinda always need it in this function).

Shinigami and I have been discussing.. that if I break up the other functions, that you cant have a _DEFAULT_REALM constant ... and setting one in every EM would probably be pretty annoying (like MAP_DEFAULT_REALM:="brittania")

We're thinking about .. making it so if the realm argument is 0 or error, to have the core attempt to auto-detect the realm the script is operating on. In most cases the core can do this. The only time it really can't is if you use start.ecl, and start scripts up (global control scripts), web scripts, aux scripts and hooks.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Laziness prevails...
I just did attributes.em, vitals.em, storage.em and guilds.em

I don't feel like dealing with the _DEFAULT_REALM stuff at this time.
It would involve either setting a constant in each .em file, or making the core autodetect the realm the script is on, or always force a realm parameter.. I dont think anyone likes any of those options.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

I agree honestly.

Also there has been a new Cliloc.em added recently, for cliloc functions (yay). So add another to the list :)
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

Having the core detect the realm and supply a default just plain worries me.

Since 097 is going to be a real pain in the butt to convert (thanks Austin for splitting up all the em files......) it comes down to either taking the time to code it in manually or finding another nice efficient place to store the _DEFAULT_REALM.

Personally I think that a default realm still has a lot of merit - after all not everyone is ever going to want realms. Stick it somewhere efficient if you like - like a set of constants in an em file that ALWAYS loads by default, a gprop or anything.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

What I meant was.. im not gonna make anymore .em files so its gonna stay as-is for now.
Danielle
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Danielle »

Since 097 is going to be a real pain in the butt to convert
I wrote a program that automatically update your scripts and includes to call the appropriate use statements. When the first beta releaases, i'll release the program.

It is though, written in VB.NET and requires that .NET 2.0 is present. Sorry, its the only programing langauge I'm good with, still learning C++. :wink:
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

Danielle,
Don't care. If it saves me the time I think it will, it's going to be worth finding the runtimes. Thanks in advance for your generosity.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks Danielle. I have Net framework installed so it will help. Wish there was a progy for 95 to 96 conversion :P
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Austin wrote: I don't feel like dealing with the _DEFAULT_REALM stuff at this time.
It would involve either setting a constant in each .em file, or making the core autodetect the realm the script is on, or always force a realm parameter.. I dont think anyone likes any of those options.
Just a thought... any way to possibly define a constants file just for constants only? I mean I know you could easily do it in includes but this would solve your problem with _DEFAULT_REALM since you dont have to tie constants to each individual EM.
innominabile
Adept Poster

Post by innominabile »

MMM I am converting to pol097 with sw, I have find some little bugs:

Commands like start_script() and ReadGameClock() are left without "use uo"
Also with File() do not insert an "use File"

Thanks, bye.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

is this about Danielle's program? The best place to talk about that is in the post where its released for download. In the post, Danielle answered the problem you described already.

http://forums.polserver.com/viewtopic.php?t=589
Shinigami
Former Developer

Post by Shinigami »

innominabile wrote:MMM I am converting to pol097 with sw, I have find some little bugs:
it's not a core bug

Shinigami