UOFiddler and UO Versions 7+

This is where you can post about tools related specifically to the POL Server itself

Moderator: POL Developer

OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

UOFiddler and UO Versions 7+

Post by OWHorus »

Hello,

another question: Newer versions of UO have the new format .uop.

AFAIK you need to convert the .uop files into .mul files and then you can use UOFiddler to patch them. Afterwards you convert them back to .uop format. Correct?

I played around a bit with this, since somebody (at RunUO, I think) wrote a UOFiddler plugin named UOPPacker.

I did not yet really use it, and do not yet need to, but it may happen...

Does anybody have experience with this? I had the plugin only for x86, but managed to find the source code, and can now compile it with the rest of UOFiddler (4.7). It seems to work.

The author is somebody named _Epila_ on the RunUO forums, and it is quite old, posted around January, 2014.

The compiled plugin module can be found elsewhere, but mostly it is compiled for x86 only, and sometimes does not work. It contains the usual plugin template files from Turley, and the converter. There is no further author information.

Anybody interested? I could give you the sources, or compiled plugins. Maybe we should add it to the official repo, but I do not know if we can reach the author to ask. Or is there a better solution in the meantime?

Opinions?

OWHorus
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: UOFiddler and UO Versions 7+

Post by Yukiko »

I am interested in obtaining the source code for it. I have used it and it seems to work. Both for unpacking and packing.

If we have source code it is possible we could add it to POL tools as long as the author has no objection.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

Since according to the copyrights I found in the sources I'm the author and it's still beerware license you could simply add it as official plugin. ;)
Maybe leave him a message :p
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

You are the author of the uop plug in?
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

Post by OWHorus »

;)
I think, what Turley means is, that all the sources are marked as his, except one: The plugin consists of the plugin template files (Turleys), and one source file 'converter.cs'. This file has no author comments at all.

I can try to reach the poster of the sources.

OWHorus

Edit: I just contacted the author on the RunUO forums, where I found the source. At a time the sources were at Google Sources, but they are not there anymore. The last activity from the person was this year around March, so chances are that he will respond.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Maybe we can add it to POL tools then. If you can PM the source code to me I'd appreciate it. I'd like to have it for reference purposes.
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

No reply from author over a week now...

Post by OWHorus »

Hello,

as I said I posted a request to the author (posted at August, 23rd 2017) - but no answer. The source code is quite old, and the author probably no longer active.

Since the author put his code on the RunUO community for download and the code was also on Google Code (the author says so), I think it is open source.

Since it has no Copyright attached and also includes copyrighted material (Turleys plugin code) I think a comment that the code was written by somebody from Brazil (from _Epila_'s profile) will suffice to include the code in the GIT repo for UOFiddler.

OWHorus
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

That's great news.