A question about source code editors/IDEs

This is where you can post about tools related specifically to the POL Server itself

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

A question about source code editors/IDEs

Post by Yukiko »

I currently use the Scite editor based on Scintilla for editing eScript source files. It has been my faithful companion for many years now and I am loathing changing from it to another program. Unfortunately I am using an older version because the newest version refuses to use "monospaced" font for displaying listings. I can manually switch to it in the Options menu item but the setting doesn't persist after closing and restarting the program. So I have been looking around at several other free or very inexpensive alternatives. Most of them have all or more of the features I'm used to in Scite. There is one thing that Scite does that I can't seem to replicate in those I've tested. Scite will highlight just the member portion of an object reference.

Example:
player.color

The editors I've tested seem to have no trouble highlighting text if it's at the beginning of a line but they don't seem to be capable of highlighting reserved words that are not delimited by a space or they don't recognize the period as a delimiter. Then again maybe I just don't know hoe to configure them.

So here's the deal, I'd rather not switch to another editor. So if anyone knows how I can make the monospaced font sticky in the latest version of Scite (version 3.23) please let me know. However, if no one can help me with that then can someone point me to an editor that handles keyword highlighting as in my example above?

Thanks in advance.
xeon
Forum Regular

Re: A question about source code editors/IDEs

Post by xeon »

Yukiko, we use Scite for the same reason, I am become accustomized to the default scite font and the new Scite version doesn't seems "right" to me ehehhe
I think that you can manually set the font to use by editing one of the scite config files. Try looking on the scite online manual if there's an option for the font.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'll look. I find understanding some of the Scite configuration files difficult. : )
In particular figuring out how to modify the highlight colours.

I'm glad to find someone else using Scite. I've always liked its simplicity and ease of use.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Xeon,

I finally gave up trying to make the "Use Monospaced Font" option remain active after a program shut down and restart. I couldn't find any information on how to invoke it in the properties files. The odd thing is that there used to be a setting for it but I tried using the setting in the latest versions of SciTE and it has no effect. So I created an Auto Hotkey script to execute SciTE and send a <ctrl>-F11 keystroke sequence to it. That is the keyboard shortcut to invoke the monospaced font option. Once again Auto Hotkey saves the day!
andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Post by andenixa »

I use EmEditor. It has code completion as well as easy customizable code highlighting, and an extensive snippets support. It also allows you to compile scripts not leaving the IDE as well. No highlighting glitches or troubles with changing fonts.
I tried UltraEdit, but its a bit heavy for the cause.

PS: I am *not* affiliated with authors of EmEditor. I merely think its a very useful code editor.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I've never heard of EmEditor. I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the heads up. I have to say now that I've solved the monospaced font issue I am once again happy with Scite but if EmEditor has some feature or features that I want then maybe I'll switch. I like to have options. Scite also allows compiling individual scripts from within the IDE as well.